× Members

ESA "Learning" activity and descriptors

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99576 by Bearer
ATOS and DWP misinterpret this activity. Whether one can operate a washing machine or an alarm clock is nothing to do with whether one can LEARN TO operate a washing machine or alarm clock. Most folk who were able to learn (years ago) how to operate a w/machine will be able to learn a new equivalent task now.

But a significant minority will NOT be able to learn an equivalent task now. Yet ATOS/DWP makes statements such as "can use the washing machine" to dismiss any current incapacity to learn. Ability to perform a very familiar task, performed in the same way over years, is nothing to do with current ability to learn a new task.

I'm not sure if this is made sufficiently clear in B&W's own excellent guide??
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #99580 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA "Learning" activity and descriptors
Bearer

Whilst I might agree that the test is simplistic it is set by the ESA legislation

11. Learning tasks.
11 (a) Cannot learn how to complete a simple task, such as setting an alarm clock. 15 points
11 (b) Cannot learn anything beyond a simple task, such as setting an alarm clock. 9 points
11 (c) Cannot learn anything beyond a moderately complex task, such as the steps involved in operating a washing machine to clean clothes. 6 points
(d) None of the above apply. 0 points

You may wish to argue your points but claimants will be assessed using the above descriptors.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99588 by Bearer
Replied by Bearer on topic ESA "Learning" activity and descriptors
I certainly do not think it is simplistic - more Machiavellian! Otherwise, I agree with all you've written, Gordon. But I don't understand how it counters what I've written?
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

More
11 years 2 months ago #99592 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA "Learning" activity and descriptors

Bearer wrote: I certainly do not think it is simplistic - more Machiavellian! Otherwise, I agree with all you've written, Gordon. But I don't understand how it counters what I've written?

I am not saying that it does, but you cannot dismiss the references to an alarm clock or a washing machine as they set the standard against which a claimant will be assessed, so a claimant will only score 15 points if they can show that they cannot perform a task as complex as setting an alarm clock, it does not have to be an alarm clock, but whatever the task is, it must be of similar complexity.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.