× Members

DLA award

• Dean
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99653 by Dean
DLA award was created by Dean
Hi Everyone, newby to the forum, but i have found your guides and advice priceless.

I could do with a bit of advice, i have been trying to get my DLA award sorted out for 2 years and need some help

Firstly I have an extremely rare skin complaint(less than 15 in the country) this causes me intense pain and has done all my life. Up to 2 years ago I did everything I could to manage the pain and try to get on with as much a normal life as I could. Unfortunately I broke down with a nervous breakdown and had to admit I have a disability.

I must say the medical and physiological departments have been first class, helping me to come to terms with my disability. My problem is with the benefits agency.

First atos exam failed no points on appeal up to 10 points, re applied and had another medical this time awarded 18 points.

DLA award was set at lower care and lower mobility. I was advised that my mobility and care should be addressed so I appealed.

In the meantime my doctors produced a report of my needs but the appeal was herd before I had chance to put all the evidence to the board. However, they awarded me higher mobility.

So I have had to start again as I need care all the time I sent in all of the letters in with the change of circumstances form and what a surprise my care level staid the same even though 1 doctor and a consultant said I need more care. They keep harping back to the atos medical that states I will be well in 12 months’ time, this is imposable as my condition will only get worse not better.

I have asked them to look at it again, I am not holding my breath and will have to appeal I just need to know am I flogging a dead horse, this is getting me completely down and I don’t know where to turn.

On the PIP test I get 25 points and 16 points mobility should I wait until PIP comes in to being or persue this. Any help would be appreciated
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by bro58. Reason: Post repeated twice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99664 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic DLA award

Dean wrote: Hi Everyone, newby to the forum, but i have found your guides and advice priceless.

I could do with a bit of advice, i have been trying to get my DLA award sorted out for 2 years and need some help

Firstly I have an extremely rare skin complaint(less than 15 in the country) this causes me intense pain and has done all my life. Up to 2 years ago I did everything I could to manage the pain and try to get on with as much a normal life as I could. Unfortunately I broke down with a nervous breakdown and had to admit I have a disability.

I must say the medical and physiological departments have been first class, helping me to come to terms with my disability. My problem is with the benefits agency.

First atos exam failed no points on appeal up to 10 points, re applied and had another medical this time awarded 18 points.

DLA award was set at lower care and lower mobility. I was advised that my mobility and care should be addressed so I appealed.

In the meantime my doctors produced a report of my needs but the appeal was herd before I had chance to put all the evidence to the board. However, they awarded me higher mobility.

So I have had to start again as I need care all the time I sent in all of the letters in with the change of circumstances form and what a surprise my care level staid the same even though 1 doctor and a consultant said I need more care. They keep harping back to the atos medical that states I will be well in 12 months’ time, this is imposable as my condition will only get worse not better.

I have asked them to look at it again, I am not holding my breath and will have to appeal I just need to know am I flogging a dead horse, this is getting me completely down and I don’t know where to turn.

On the PIP test I get 25 points and 16 points mobility should I wait until PIP comes in to being or persue this. Any help would be appreciated

Hi D,

What PIP Test did you use ?

Are you aware of the Final Draft of The PIP Descriptors, the Mobility Element, (Moving Around) was changed from 50 Metres to 20 Metres.

Please have a look at the information that we have on PIP, to make sure you are up to date with all the information.

There is a Draft PIP Claims Guide, top link on this page :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/dla/#pip

There is a whole topic thread on PIP here :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...id=10&id=85481#85481

And there is further information, here :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip

Once you have reviewed the information from the links above, please repost here, if you have any further queries.

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by bro58.

• Dean
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99767 by Dean
Replied by Dean on topic DLA award
Hi

thanks for the advice i have read the links and found them very useful.

the points, i used the PIP section of the site to calculate what i feel i should be awarded, probably get a lot less but i was airing on the low side

just have to wait and see
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
11 years 2 months ago #99769 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic DLA award

Dean wrote: Hi

thanks for the advice i have read the links and found them very useful.

the points, i used the PIP section of the site to calculate what i feel i should be awarded, probably get a lot less but i was airing on the low side

just have to wait and see

Hi D,

That may well be wise.

The reason that I asked the question regarding which PIP Test you used, is because the previous PIP Test that we had was before the Final Draft of The PIP descriptors.

As you will see now from the 3rd link that I posted in my original post, Steve is in the process of updating the PIP Self-Test to fall in line with the Final Draft.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.