× Members

ESA Assessment rate

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99689 by teresasue
ESA Assessment rate was created by teresasue
Hi Everyone does anyone know if the ESA rate is cut to assessment rate as soon as you send in a GL24 form, or is it after they have done their reconsideration stage and its sent on to actual appeal please? Its a bit confusing?
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99698 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA Assessment rate

Sophielegs wrote: Hi Everyone does anyone know if the ESA rate is cut to assessment rate as soon as you send in a GL24 form, or is it after they have done their reconsideration stage and its sent on to actual appeal please? Its a bit confusing?

Hi Sl,

A couple of questions :

Are you appealing a "fit for work" decision.?

Was it a fresh claim for ESA, or were you transferred over from another benefit ?

bro58

• bro58
11 years 2 months ago #99711 by bro58

bro58 wrote:

Sophielegs wrote: Hi Everyone does anyone know if the ESA rate is cut to assessment rate as soon as you send in a GL24 form, or is it after they have done their reconsideration stage and its sent on to actual appeal please? Its a bit confusing?

Hi Sl,

A couple of questions :

Are you appealing a "fit for work" decision.?

Was it a fresh claim for ESA, or were you transferred over from another benefit ?

bro58

If it is a fit for work decision that you are appealing, in the case of a fresh claim, assessment rate ESA will be paid from the beginning of week 14.

In the case of appealing a fit for work decision where you have been transferred over from IB, SDA or IS, assessment rate will be paid from the date that your benefits payments ceased, (date of fit for work decision came into force)

To gain payment of assessment rate in both the above scenarios, you would have to submit a GL24, and obtain a Med 3 "fit note" from your G.P. to cover you from the date that your benefit ceased, as above, and submit that also.

If you were appealing WRAG to SG, you would continue to receive payments of WRAG whilst appealing, and would not have to submit a Med 3.

See : What will I be paid while I appeal?

From our :

Appeals FAQ’s

bro58

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99726 by teresasue
Replied by teresasue on topic ESA Assessment rate
Hi there many thanks for replies. My son was transferred from IB to ESA into the WRAG group and we have sent in a GL24 for to appeal the decision to try to put him into the Support Group with the help of a letter from his GP as he has mental problems, so we obviously don't know yet whether they will look at it again first before sending it to appeal?

So as he was put in the WRAG group from January and then we sent in the appeal form at the end of January will he continue with his payments for 14 weeks even though we have sent in a GL24 form, I am so sorry but I am still confused, I know I am a pensioner but this is all sooo confusing. Just want to be prepared for them to cut his money to assessment rate?

Thanks to anyone who can help

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99729 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA Assessment rate
Your son will continue to receive the WRAG payment until/unless a decision is made to move him into the Support Group. If this takes more than 12 months from the conversion date, contributary ESA will stop and your son will be means tested for income-related ESA (everyone who was on IB will be migrated to contributary ESA).

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: teresasue

• bro58
11 years 2 months ago #99730 by bro58

Sophielegs wrote: Hi there many thanks for replies. My son was transferred from IB to ESA into the WRAG group and we have sent in a GL24 for to appeal the decision to try to put him into the Support Group with the help of a letter from his GP as he has mental problems, so we obviously don't know yet whether they will look at it again first before sending it to appeal?

So as he was put in the WRAG group from January and then we sent in the appeal form at the end of January will he continue with his payments for 14 weeks even though we have sent in a GL24 form, I am so sorry but I am still confused, I know I am a pensioner but this is all sooo confusing. Just want to be prepared for them to cut his money to assessment rate?

Thanks to anyone who can help

Hi Sl,

As your son was migrated over to ESA from IB, there is no 13 week assessment period as with a fresh claim, so my comments Re : "week 14" is not applicable.

He will continue to receive The WRAG rate of ESA whilst appealing, and he will not receive any less than he did when he was on IB, see :

What will I be paid?

From our :

IB, IS, SDA, Migration to ESA FAQ’s

He does not have to submit a Med 3 either, however, see :

Do I have to attend WFIs while I appeal?

Further, if he is being paid CB ESA in The WRAG without any part of it being IR ESA, he will only be entitled to 365 days of payment, see :

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.