× Members

IB to ESA..... very confused and upset

• Tina
  • Topic Author
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #100491 by Tina
I am so confused upset and feel like i wished i had died back in 2005 with a decision i received yesterday.. I have been on IB since 2006 for an operation that went wrong that has left me disabled. Im on DLA high rate and low rate care. I attended the ESA medical which was just a woman talking to me. She asked me to get on the bed so that she could so a medical thing ( not sure what ) but the bed didn't go up and down and i wasn't able to get ion it, she then asked me to raise my arms and that was it.

With my ESA application I sent a psychiatric report, confirming depression and PTSD. I sent in a report on care needs and a report about what happened to me and prognosis. The prognosis clearly stats that with the injuries i sustained i would never be able to work again.... This seems to have been totally ignored and i have been placed in a WRAG...... IM STUNNED... I have asked for the medical report they how many points i got, which im waiting for ... i am appealing but not sure what other evidence i need... I thought the reports i gave them were enough...

Your input would be greatly appreciated
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #100492 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IB to ESA..... very confused and upset

Tina wrote: I am so confused upset and feel like i wished i had died back in 2005 with a decision i received yesterday.. I have been on IB since 2006 for an operation that went wrong that has left me disabled. Im on DLA high rate and low rate care. I attended the ESA medical which was just a woman talking to me. She asked me to get on the bed so that she could so a medical thing ( not sure what ) but the bed didn't go up and down and i wasn't able to get ion it, she then asked me to raise my arms and that was it.

With my ESA application I sent a psychiatric report, confirming depression and PTSD. I sent in a report on care needs and a report about what happened to me and prognosis. The prognosis clearly stats that with the injuries i sustained i would never be able to work again.... This seems to have been totally ignored and i have been placed in a WRAG...... IM STUNNED... I have asked for the medical report they how many points i got, which im waiting for ... i am appealing but not sure what other evidence i need... I thought the reports i gave them were enough...

Your input would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to B&W, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is on the site.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I am afraid that this is a common situation, many claimants fail to realise that a prognosis of being unable to work in the short term or even in the long term will only qualify them for them for the WRAG and not the Support Group.

In reality, the situation is more complicated than this, as the Decision is actually based on the claimants meeting the requirements of the ESA descriptors that are associated with each group, there ability to work is a result of this process, not a consideration during it.

So to be placed in the SG you either need to meet one or more of the Descriptors or show that you are not capable of carrying out Work Related Activity. See

Qualifying for the Support Group

The following explains the appeal process

Is there any risk to challenging a decision?

How long do I have to appeal?

How to submit an appeal

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and reconsiderations

Preparing for a Tribunal

MOJ Video of ESA Appeals Process and Tribunal

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

Do I have to attend WFIs while I appeal?

and you should have a look at our ESA Appeal guide

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

You might also want have a look at our ESA Claim guides as these explain the descriptors and how to explain your conditions in more detail, they are also on the link above.

If you have any question on the above, please reply to this post and we will do our best to answer, the forum is now closed to new posts but will re-open at 8pm.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.