× Members

Pension and CB ESA in Support Group

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #101176 by Tree Frog
Pension and CB ESA in Support Group was created by Tree Frog
Can anyone shed light on the following:

Migrated from IB to CB ESA and put in WRAG. CB ESA ceased after 365 day entitlement exhausted. Failed to qualify for IR ESA due to income from Medical Retirement [Occupational] Pension. Since WRAG and LCW award had been for more than 365 days, continued to qualify for NI Credits only.

2 months later was reassessed routinely via ESA 50 submission - deemed to still have LCW and to remain in WRAG but to receive NI Credits only. Successfully appealed to be placed in SG. Ahead of any statement on payments DWP have requested details of my Pension Provider so they can assess income from my Medical Retirement [Occupational] Pension. This I have done and am awaiting outcome.

My understanding is that ESA [CB] should be reinstated while in SG. My Pension was disregarded previously [while in receipt of CB ESA] under Transitional Protection arrangements and, as far as I know, such protection should last while I remain entitled to CB ESA or until April 2020.

Questions:
a) Considering the DWP are already aware of my Pension Income from my IR ESA [failed] attempt and bearing in mind my Pension Income should maintain the historical Transitional Protection when CB ESA is re-instated while in the SG, why does the DWP need to look at my Pension Income again? Since there has been no break in my claim and no break in my award of LWC surely my Pension Income should continue to be disregarded when CB ESA is re-instated as a consequence of gaining entry to the SG? Or am I missing something? Is there some mechanism by which the DWP can means test the re-instated CB ESA using my Pension Income to reduce it by applying the £85/week rule despite the fact that my Pension has hitherto been disregarded due to the historic Transitional Protection arrangements? Basically, do you think the Transitional Protection of my Pension from means testing should continue under reinstatement of CB ESA in the SG? Viz. does such reinstatement also reinstate the Transitional Protection?

b) What happens if in the future I leave the SG and re-enter the WRAG - does the CB ESA 365-day clock begin from zero again or would I again just qualify for NI Credits only?

I have 42 qualifying years of National Insurance [NI].

I would be grateful for any clarification you can provide as to what type of ESA I might expect in the Support Group taking into account the above circumstances. In any case, thank you all for a superb forum and site – knowledge gleaned here having been pivotal to the successes outlined above.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by bro58. Reason: Tick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bearer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #101188 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pension and CB ESA in Support Group
TF

I think we are going to find it difficult to give you accurate advice on this matter.

The problem is that ESA Transitional Regulations were written before the time limiting of ESA(CB) was even suggested, let alone implemented, and therefore takes no account of this situation.

Despite being later, the Regulations in regard to the time limiting of ESA(CB) simply define the rules for the removal of payment and the re-instatement of it, they make no reference to any Transitional Protection.

My view, and I want to stress that it is just my view, I cannot find any DWP documentation that covers this area whatever, is that TP should continue as there has been a continuing claim for ESA, it is only the payments that have stopped, not the ESA.

If you are put back into the WRAG, then because this is a continuing claim, payments would immediately stop and you would only be eligible for NI Credits.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tree Frog

More
11 years 1 month ago #101199 by Tree Frog
Replied by Tree Frog on topic Pension and CB ESA in Support Group
Thank you for taking the time to reply Gordon. Much appreciated :)

I agree your view - it would seem rather perverse to end up in the SG and find the level of financial support [CB ESA], hitherto enjoyed in the WRAG, somehow significantly reduced. However, we will see which way the DWP roll on this and I will let the Forum know how it goes in case it is of assistance to others that might find themselves in a similar situation.

Should the outcome be unfavourable then I would definitely consider appealing any deleterious decision unless of course it was encapsulated in law. Will let you know :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: j112009, Bearer

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #101538 by twink
Replied by twink on topic Pension and CB ESA in Support Group
Could you please just clarifies something for me. I have transferred from invalidity benefit to incapacity benefit and now work-related activity contribution based ESA.
I receive an occupational pension of £100 per week. My occupational pension did not come into the calculations for incapacity benefit as I had transitional protection. It is my occupational pension considered now as part of my ESA claim and therefore the ESA payment reduced or am I entitled to transitional protection on my occupational pension?
Thank you in advance.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by bro58.

More
11 years 1 month ago #101541 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Pension and CB ESA in Support Group
Hi Twink,

I think you should find the answer here -

Will my pension be disregarded under ESA?

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: twink

• bro58
11 years 1 month ago #101544 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Pension and CB ESA in Support Group

twink wrote: Could you please just clarifies something for me. I have transferred from invalidity benefit to incapacity benefit and now work-related activity contribution based ESA.
I receive an occupational pension of £100 per week. My occupational pension did not come into the calculations for incapacity benefit as I had transitional protection. It is my occupational pension considered now as part of my ESA claim and therefore the ESA payment reduced or am I entitled to transitional protection on my occupational pension?
Thank you in advance.

Hi t,

This FAQ should answer your query :

Will my pension be disregarded under ESA?

From our : IB, IS, SDA, Migration to ESA FAQ’s

You should bear in mind though that if you are in receipt of CB ESA only in the WRAG (no IR ESA top-up) that when your 365 days entitlement to payment of CB ESA is exhauasted, that your OP would be classed as income in any means test that you would have to pass for entitlement to IR ESA.

See :

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.