× Members

Income support & esa

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #101506 by Tiswas
Income support & esa was created by Tiswas
Hi

I am currently in receipt of ESA contribution rate and in support group. I get £105 per week. Would i also be able to claim income support? My DLA is being dealt with by my mp as they turned me down.I understand if you dont now the answer.

Many thanks
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #101508 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Income support & esa

Tiswas wrote: Hi

I am currently in receipt of ESA contribution rate and in support group. I get £105 per week. Would i also be able to claim income support? My DLA is being dealt with by my mp as they turned me down.I understand if you dont now the answer.

Many thanks

ESA and Income Support are mutually exclusive benefits, you can only claim one or the other, also there are only limited circumstances where you can claim IS; e.g. caring, child under 5, etc.

However, depending on your circumstances, you may be able to claim Income Related ESA as a top-up. You can try one of the online calculators, Turn2Us is quite accurate and easy to use, or alternatively, get face to face advice from a trained advisor.

Eligibility for ESA(IR) is dependant on you and your partners income, savings and assets, and any hours that your partner works. See

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Fawlty
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #101509 by Fawlty
Replied by Fawlty on topic Income support & esa
Income Support is being scrapped and replaced by Job Seekers Allowance so in affect I would think you would be declaring yourself fit for work.

I was on Income Support with a Disability Premium attached instead of Incapacity Benefit and have had the ESA50 in to say as both are being scrapped I now have to apply for ESA.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #101510 by Tiswas
Replied by Tiswas on topic Income support & esa
Thanks Gordon, I did see something which said i could apply for income related esa but didnt think i could get it because i was on contribution based.
Thankyou for your help.

More
11 years 1 month ago #101512 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Income support & esa

Fawlty wrote: Income Support is being scrapped and replaced by Job Seekers Allowance so in affect I would think you would be declaring yourself fit for work.

I was on Income Support with a Disability Premium attached instead of Incapacity Benefit and have had the ESA50 in to say as both are being scrapped I now have to apply for ESA.

Actually Income Support is being replaced by the Universal Credit, not JSA :)

As you have stated, Income Support due to Disability, as distinct from Income Support awarded for any other reason, is being replaced by Income Related ESA.

I hope this explains it better.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tiswas

More
11 years 1 month ago #101513 by Tiswas
Replied by Tiswas on topic Income support & esa
Ah right. Well they sent me this letter with my award saying i could possibly be eligable for income related. I dont have a partner or any savings etc . Seems to be different everywhere :-) Well i will ask them anyway and see what they say. I know someone who gets esa,income support top up together. They are not due for assesment until 2015 though.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.