× Members

Which boxes to tick on ESA50 (Going form IB to ESA

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #101528 by FCB
Have a number of illnesses and can collapse for hours and am also in constant pain. Do I tick No, Yes or Varies on any of the questions re when doing the activity is painful and can cause me problems but can do it. I've phoned various for advice inc DWP and get conflicting answers. Am I right thinking I should tick No then explain what problems the activity causes and can't do it safely? DWP said tick Varies but I told them I have progressive MS so ill all the time. I thought Varies means some days you can do it ok and other days you cant.

I have the B&W guide which has helped enormously re telling them all about my illnesses and giving examples of problems etc but I'm still uncertain re the No Yes or Varies.

Doing these forms are always a nightmare for me as due to MS I've forgotten what I have read by end of sentence. Ended up at a DLA appeal years ago before getting things sorted so really want to avoid that if possible. Many thanks for any clarification you can give, Fiona
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #101536 by Gordon

Fiona Booth wrote: Have a number of illnesses and can collapse for hours and am also in constant pain. Do I tick No, Yes or Varies on any of the questions re when doing the activity is painful and can cause me problems but can do it. I've phoned various for advice inc DWP and get conflicting answers. Am I right thinking I should tick No then explain what problems the activity causes and can't do it safely? DWP said tick Varies but I told them I have progressive MS so ill all the time. I thought Varies means some days you can do it ok and other days you cant.

I have the B&W guide which has helped enormously re telling them all about my illnesses and giving examples of problems etc but I'm still uncertain re the No Yes or Varies.

Doing these forms are always a nightmare for me as due to MS I've forgotten what I have read by end of sentence. Ended up at a DLA appeal years ago before getting things sorted so really want to avoid that if possible. Many thanks for any clarification you can give, Fiona

I am afraid we cannot tell you what to tick or state on your ESA50, however, I hope the following explains it better.

Depending on the question, ticking yes or no, you are stating whether you can or cannot complete a particular task, so for example; in question 1 if you tick the "yes" box for Going Up and Down Stairs then you are stating that you have no problems with this test.

The "it varies" box implies that your condition varies, from hour to hour or day to day; sometimes you can complete the task and sometimes you cannot. However, before answering this question you should consider your ability to complete the task safely, reliably and repeatedly.

safely - Can you complete the task without experiencing significant discomfort, if not, then you should only look at your ability prior to the significant discomfort starting. So if you can walk 200m or more, but experience significant discomfort after 100m, then you should only be considered capable of walking 100m.

reliably - you should be assessed on your ability to complete the task for the majority of the time, if for example you can complete a task, but only two days out of seven, then you should not be considered as being capable of completing the task.

repeatedly - you must be able to repeat an activity within a reasonable period of time to be considered capable of doing it. For example, you can climb two steps, but due to exhaustion you could not climb a further two steps for an unreasonable period of time, then you should not be seem as capable of climbing the original two steps.

I hope this explains it

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #101540 by FCB
Thank you Gordon. I am ok with the varies and explaining how often can and can not do things. But eg on up and down steps I'm in significant discomfort before I start and I can not do it safely (falls with MS and collapse with other illness with no warning and out for hours) so I'm still confused if that is a No as I can never do it safely. Thank you, Fiona
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by . Reason: Tick.

11 years 1 month ago #101547 by
Hi,

Just in case your forum name is also your real name, you may wish to change it to maintain some anonymity. You can do this by following the instructions on this FAQ :

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

bro58

More
11 years 1 month ago #101552 by Gordon

Fiona Booth wrote: Thank you Gordon. I am ok with the varies and explaining how often can and can not do things. But eg on up and down steps I'm in significant discomfort before I start and I can not do it safely (falls with MS and collapse with other illness with no warning and out for hours) so I'm still confused if that is a No as I can never do it safely. Thank you, Fiona

I would look at my example for performing a task safely and extrapolate it to the circumstances you mention above.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.