× Members

ESA medical and appointee

• welshflier
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #102092 by welshflier
ESA medical and appointee was created by welshflier
Hi

When I had my ESA medical, my husband wasn't allowed to speak for me - fair enough I guess.

However, I have a friend who is appointee to her daughter who is being transferred from IB to ESA. Is she allowed to speak for her daughter? Her daughter has Downs Syndrome and has no understanding of how much support she uses and needs to get by in everyday life.

Anne
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #102109 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA medical and appointee

welshflier wrote: Hi

When I had my ESA medical, my husband wasn't allowed to speak for me - fair enough I guess.

However, I have a friend who is appointee to her daughter who is being transferred from IB to ESA. Is she allowed to speak for her daughter? Her daughter has Downs Syndrome and has no understanding of how much support she uses and needs to get by in everyday life.

Anne

Where the claimant is unable to speak with authority on their condition(s), especially where they have no appreciation that they may have one, then the panel should allow an appointee to speak on their behalf in part or in whole.

It would be worth contacting the Tribunal Service to make sure that they are aware of this in advance of the hearing, hi-lighting, if applicable, that close questioning might cause the daughter distress.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.