× Members

Getting a copy of my DWP notes

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #103066 by Finni
Getting a copy of my DWP notes was created by Finni
Over a period of about 6 months I've sent in requests to see my DWP notes (under the Data Protection Act) To be fair, sometimes I added the request to a longer letter but one request was in a letter of its own. The last request was several months ago.

I do not live anywhere near my Job Centre so I can't call in there to make a request which is what is suggested on one DWP web page.

What's the best way to chase this up? Should I write in as a complaint and to whom (my DWP office is Glasgow)? Or should I write to the Information Commissioner who will probably has a lot of these notifications and is unlikely to give it top priority.

My various claims over the years seem to be with different departments and sections such as the old Incapacity Benefit dept, Income Support, DLA, etc. I wonder how they will they collate all this info. Or is the info (including my historic data) now held electronically?
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #103071 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Getting a copy of my DWP notes

Finni wrote: Over a period of about 6 months I've sent in requests to see my DWP notes (under the Data Protection Act) To be fair, sometimes I added the request to a longer letter but one request was in a letter of its own. The last request was several months ago.

I do not live anywhere near my Job Centre so I can't call in there to make a request which is what is suggested on one DWP web page.

What's the best way to chase this up? Should I write in as a complaint and to whom (my DWP office is Glasgow)? Or should I write to the Information Commissioner who will probably has a lot of these notifications and is unlikely to give it top priority.

My various claims over the years seem to be with different departments and sections such as the old Incapacity Benefit dept, Income Support, DLA, etc. I wonder how they will they collate all this info. Or is the info (including my historic data) now held electronically?

Hi F,

You may have problems obtaining older dormant documentation, as the DWP destroy such documents regularly when it is around 14 months old.

It would be The DWP Data Controller for you area that any Subject Access request should be directed to.

Have you tried actually issuing a SAR Form, if this is sent to your local Benefits Office, with "SAR Data Protection Request" written on the front top left of the envelope, it should be diverted to The Data Controller.

See :

SAR :

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/request-for-personal-information.rtf

From this page :

www.dwp.gov.uk/privacy-policy/data-protection/

If The DWP have failed to comply with previous SARs, you could complain to ICO :

www.ico.org.uk/for_the_public/personal_information

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by bro58.

• bro58
11 years 1 week ago #103078 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Getting a copy of my DWP notes
Here is some guidance on DWP document retention, provided as a result of an FOI request :

www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/16691/res...DDR%20Guide.doc.html

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.