× Members

DLA/PIP for shopping, cleaning etc

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #103081 by suemccaff
DLA/PIP for shopping, cleaning etc was created by suemccaff
I have just seen, on one of the links to the decision makers guidance, (sorry, can't find it now!) that when assessing the ability to cook a meal ALL the activities associated with this could be taken into account, including actually shopping for the food itself. This brings me to my main query; the usual response from DWP is that DLA/PIP is not for help with cooking and cleaning and this seems to be based on a judgment by Lord Denning in the 80's where he implied that such activities were taken care of by the wife or daughter of the household. As a widow, living alone, if I don't have anyone to shop and clean for me then I will soon either starve or be at risk of disease from squalor. How then should one go about establishing the need for help in these areas, given also that there is some confusion already, hence the point above about shopping equating to cooking. Or does the law need changing on this to reflect increased numbers of people living alone without obediant wives?
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #103083 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA/PIP for shopping, cleaning etc
As far as I am aware, the DWP are still acting on the basis of Lord Denning's decision and things such as shopping and claning are not taken into account when assessing for DLA. From what I have read about PIP, that situation will not change :(

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: suemccaff

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
11 years 1 week ago #103134 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic DLA/PIP for shopping, cleaning etc
Hi Mrs HB,

I can confirm that as is the case for DLA,when PIP is applied to current DLA claimants shopping and cleaning will not be taken into account for care needs.

Kind regards.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
11 years 1 week ago #103144 by carruthers
Replied by carruthers on topic DLA/PIP for shopping, cleaning etc
If you cannot do any shopping because you have mobility problems, then you might qualify for the mobility component of DLA, not because you cannot shop as such, but because you have trouble walking.

There are other sources of help apart from DLA. On another thread a moderator posted

I suggest that you have a look at the 'turn2us' website to see if there are any other benefits they can claim and/or get face-to-face advice from a welfare expert.

Turn 2 us

Where to get advice?

(www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...&limitstart=0#103103)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.