× Members

Life after sending in the ESA "what's happening"

• Cat
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #103278 by Cat
Hi All,

Having sent in my ESA over 3 months ago I decided to take the bull by the horns and call the ATOS group to see what was going on Patience has never been one of my virtues!
They tell me that my paperwork has been sent back to my Benefit office when I asked what did that mean the answer " maybe we have decided that at this point you don't need a medical" right okay so now what "phone your benefit office they will update you". Sooooo I called my benefit office no notes on their computer to say what was happening just that they had the paperwork back from ATOS right so now what? "We will get someone to call you back later today before 4.30pm".

No phone call and still waiting for any communication.

Anyone have any ideas what this might mean? I'm thinking well they haven't stopped paying my benefit so does it mean that they don't think I am fit for work presently so have put me in Support or Wrag group. How long do these people get to decide once the paperwork has been sent back to the Benefits office and should I call again?
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #103279 by

Cat wrote: Hi All,

Having sent in my ESA over 3 months ago I decided to take the bull by the horns and call the ATOS group to see what was going on Patience has never been one of my virtues!
They tell me that my paperwork has been sent back to my Benefit office when I asked what did that mean the answer " maybe we have decided that at this point you don't need a medical" right okay so now what "phone your benefit office they will update you". Sooooo I called my benefit office no notes on their computer to say what was happening just that they had the paperwork back from ATOS right so now what? "We will get someone to call you back later today before 4.30pm".

No phone call and still waiting for any communication.

Anyone have any ideas what this might mean? I'm thinking well they haven't stopped paying my benefit so does it mean that they don't think I am fit for work presently so have put me in Support or Wrag group. How long do these people get to decide once the paperwork has been sent back to the Benefits office and should I call again?

Hi C,

There are three possible scenarios were ATOS send your ESA file back to The DWP.

1. Claimant fails to return the ESA50 by the deadline given, which may result in the claimant's benefit ceasing. (Does not seem to be the case with you)

2. Claimant has attended a face to face and resulting ESA85 med report with recommendations and ESA file are returned to DWP. (Again does not seem to be the case with you)

3. ATOS have received ESA50 and decided that claimant does not need a face to face assessment, have assessed claimant on paper scrutiny, and generated an ESA85A Med report, with a recommendation of either WRAG or SG, and then returned this with your file to The DWP.

In all three scenarios, it will now be The DWP ESA DM who makes a decision taking into account the ATOS recommendations and all evidence that they have before them.

The DWP DM should then inform you in writing, in the form of a written decision notice letter.

In other words, if ATOS received your ESA50 by the deadline given, as you have not had a face to face, they will have made a recommendation that you are placed into The WRAG or The SG.

bro58

MOD EDIT : There is another scenario where your ESA file would be returned, i.e. failure to attend a face to face when one has been arranged (again does not seem to be the case in your situation) which would lead to benefit stopping, and claimant having to show good cause for non attendance.
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by . Reason: MOD EDIT extra info.

11 years 3 weeks ago #103280 by
Hi C,

With respect to how long The DWP DM, may take to come to a decision, that will depend on the workload of that particular office.

They may well inform you of a WRAG or SG decision on the phone today.

However, you should still receive a written decision notice which gives your rights to appeal any adverse decision.

bro58

• Cat
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago #103289 by Cat
Hi,

My interpretation was as you have said then. I sent back on time, no appointment received to attend so no show not an issue... I think that I have been placed in either Support or Wrag without a medical I will give them a call again to try and find out more

11 years 3 weeks ago #103293 by

Cat wrote: Hi,

My interpretation was as you have said then. I sent back on time, no appointment received to attend so no show not an issue... I think that I have been placed in either Support or Wrag without a medical I will give them a call again to try and find out more

Hi C,

Please update us. :)

bro58

• Cat
  • Topic Author
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #103903 by Cat
Hi All,

Well I received a telephone call this morning from the DWP informing me that I have been placed into the WRAG group without a Medical so I presume that they did a paper scrutiny and sent my GP a ESA85A which enabled them to come to their decision.

I am due to see my GP tomorrow so will ascertain if she received anything from them to complete.

My Consultant who carried out my surgery has now moved on well "Struck off the GMC" a long story so I am at a loss as to how I can be reassessed my condition is chronic and as such I manage it with painkillers and rest.

Do you think it would be useful to ask for my medical records from the previous Consultant involvement albeit it is some 12 years ago ? at which point he said my condition was chronic and that nothing more could be done.

I'm disappointed of course and will now wait for the notification letter to drop through my door.

I did request during my telephone conversation today with the advisor that she arrange to have all necessary paperwork relating to my case which the DWP took into consideration be sent to

It is my intention to appeal. What paperwork should I be requesting in writing from the DWP?

Not looking forward to the appeal process but have nothing to loose and everything to gain is the way I see it.
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.