× Members

Writing to an MP

• Fawlty
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #103453 by Fawlty
Writing to an MP was created by Fawlty
Yes it's me again, I believe in being prepared although until a couple of years ago all this would have been second nature to me in knowing what to do.

I've decided to involve my MP in my appeal or at least see what response I get from them so was wondering if anyone had written to there MP and ideas on how to set the letter out as I have a tendency to write a page that turns into 15 pages.

Be grateful for any advice on how to catch my MP's attention.

Thanks
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #103455 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Writing to an MP

Fawlty wrote: Yes it's me again, I believe in being prepared although until a couple of years ago all this would have been second nature to me in knowing what to do.

I've decided to involve my MP in my appeal or at least see what response I get from them so was wondering if anyone had written to there MP and ideas on how to set the letter out as I have a tendency to write a page that turns into 15 pages.

Thanks

Less is better than more. If it is more than a page then it is far too long.

Make your point in the first paragraph.

Do not ask them to do things they cannot do, for example; they can usually expedite things, but they cannot interfere in any legal process, such as an appeal.

Contacting your MP

Perhaps some of the members who have actually contacted their MP will also comment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fawlty

• Fawlty
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 weeks ago #103458 by Fawlty
Replied by Fawlty on topic Writing to an MP
Thanks Gordon

I will come up with something suitable and keep it from short story length, always had a habit of explaining things in details.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
11 years 2 weeks ago #103475 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Writing to an MP

Fawlty wrote: Yes it's me again, I believe in being prepared although until a couple of years ago all this would have been second nature to me in knowing what to do.

Thanks

After, nearly 40 years working in welfare rights, from my experience in most cases writing to your MP is about as much use as a 'chocolate fireguard' Speaking from personal experience.

However, I wouldn't dream of forcing my views on members, because some MP's do take an active interest in their constituents and are prepared to take on their cases, often with good results.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fawlty

• Fawlty
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #103488 by Fawlty
Replied by Fawlty on topic Writing to an MP
I am wondering if it would help any Jim as I have heard good and bad outcomes of how much an MP is willing to do but end of the day if it comes to nothing at least I tried.

Have had conflicting advice though as to where to send it, prefer letter form to telephone or email and so far it's 50/50 as to if I should address it to him at the House of Commons or to his Constituency Office not sure which one would get to him the quickest.
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by .

11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #103489 by
Replied by on topic Writing to an MP

Fawlty wrote: I am wondering if it would help any Jim as I have heard good and bad outcomes of how much an MP is willing to do but end of the day if it comes to nothing at least I tried.

Have had conflicting advice though as to where to send it, prefer letter form to telephone or email and so far it's 50/50 as to if I should address it to him at the House of Commons or to his Constituency Office not sure which one would get to him the quickest.

Hi Basil,

Use the site that Gordon provided the link to. ("Write to Them")

I have used this on several occasions, and always received a response by letter from the M.P. in question, and was then contacted by one of their local case workers.

It can be pot luck with regards to how supportive the M.P. will be, obviously depending on their own political persuasion.

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by .

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.