× Members

Question 7. ESA on line test

• Jeannie
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #103481 by Jeannie
Question 7. ESA on line test was created by Jeannie
Does any one know what distance is one would be able to see a location of a fire escape?
My vision is 3/60, in one eye and blind in the other eye. In other words, what a sighted person can see at 60 meters I can see at 3 meters. Thank you.

7. Understanding communication by:
(a) verbal means (such as hearing or lip reading) alone,
(b) non-verbal means (such as reading 16 point print or Braille) alone, or
(c) a combination of (a) and (b),
using any aid that is normally, or could reasonably be, used, unaided by another person.
7 (a) Cannot understand a simple message due to sensory impairment, such as the location of a fire escape. 15 points.
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #103504 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Question 7. ESA on line test

Jeannie wrote: Does any one know what distance is one would be able to see a location of a fire escape?
My vision is 3/60, in one eye and blind in the other eye. In other words, what a sighted person can see at 60 meters I can see at 3 meters. Thank you.

7. Understanding communication by:
(a) verbal means (such as hearing or lip reading) alone,
(b) non-verbal means (such as reading 16 point print or Braille) alone, or
(c) a combination of (a) and (b),
using any aid that is normally, or could reasonably be, used, unaided by another person.
7 (a) Cannot understand a simple message due to sensory impairment, such as the location of a fire escape. 15 points.

I cannot find a legal definition of the maximum distance between Fire Escape signs but I doubt it is only 3m, however, this may be unnecessary.

Extract from the WCA Handbook

People with acuity below 3/60 on the Snellen chart would be considered as severely sight impaired. People with acuity of 3/60 but less than 6/60 with significant visual field restriction may also be registered as severely sight impaired. For sight impairment there is no formal definition, however those with acuity of 3/60 to 6/60 with a full visual field may be registered as sight impaired. Those who have a gross contraction of the visual field and vision of 6/18 or even better may also be registered as sight impaired.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeannie

• Jeannie
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 weeks ago #103681 by Jeannie
Replied by Jeannie on topic Question 7. ESA on line test
Thank you Gordon, I'm registered blind since 1987 and I'm also a carer, I get SDA and the carer premium (underlying claim to Carers allowance).

I don't get ESA as I've not been transferred yet.

I've always had problems seeing signs like public toilets, so I won't see a fire exist unless I've very close to one.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris