× Members

Esa Descriptor 4 Picking up and moving things.

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #103972 by Patel
Esa Descriptor 4 refers to picking up and moving things and 5 Manual Dexterity.
My condition is such that my left arm has a "fistula" fitted for dialysis access. The fistula has protruded
from the arm and blood vessels to the arm have stretched and thinned over years and they present a risk of bursting. Also all blood vessels around fistula and shoulder remain swollen and in pain. There is severe pain in bones due to osteoporosis. The fingers cannot operate even a mouse at times. My duty is to protect my fistula at all times to ensure it works. Therefore I tend not to use this arm.
The right arm suffers from bone pain but can do the activity.
Would it be wrong of me if I tick "NO" to all three activities? Would it be better if I don't tick any box
and simply say see below?
or Am I better of saying it varies to (a) anb (b) ?
Same applies to descriptor 5
KInd Regards
Patel.
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #103987 by bro58

Patel wrote: Esa Descriptor 4 refers to picking up and moving things and 5 Manual Dexterity.
My condition is such that my left arm has a "fistula" fitted for dialysis access. The fistula has protruded
from the arm and blood vessels to the arm have stretched and thinned over years and they present a risk of bursting. Also all blood vessels around fistula and shoulder remain swollen and in pain. There is severe pain in bones due to osteoporosis. The fingers cannot operate even a mouse at times. My duty is to protect my fistula at all times to ensure it works. Therefore I tend not to use this arm.
The right arm suffers from bone pain but can do the activity.
Would it be wrong of me if I tick "NO" to all three activities? Would it be better if I don't tick any box
and simply say see below?
or Am I better of saying it varies to (a) anb (b) ?
Same applies to descriptor 5
KInd Regards
Patel.

Hi P,

As with all the ESA Activities to be classed as being able to do them, you must be able to do so Repeatedly, Reliably and Safely, without suffering significant pain discomfort or breathlessness, for the Majority of the time.

If you cannot perform any of the activities as described above then you should be classed as not being able to perform them at all, and are therefore perfectly within your rights to tick "No".

There is nothing wrong with ticking it varies, if that is the case. However, you should then go on to state, how, when and why it varies.

The danger is with where people simply tick it varies, and leave it at that without adding further comment.

Make the ESA50 fit in with your limitations, rather than letting yourself be restricted by the tick box options within the ESA50.

bro58

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #103991 by slugsta
Bro, do both arms need to be affected in order to score points on this descriptor? I have heard the argument that the claimant could sandwich the item between one arm and the trunk, is that valid?

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #103996 by Patel
Thanks Bro
Can I not tick any boxes and simply say "see below"?
Do you get any points if you can do the activities with one arm and not the other?
Regards
Patel

• bro58
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #103997 by bro58

Mrs Hurtyback wrote: Bro, do both arms need to be affected in order to score points on this descriptor? I have heard the argument that the claimant could sandwich the item between one arm and the trunk, is that valid?

Hi MHB,

WRAG (LCW) Activity 4.

"Picking up and moving or transferring by the use of the upper body and arms.

(a)Cannot pick up and move a 0.5 litre carton full of liquid. 15 points.

(b)Cannot pick up and move a one litre carton full of liquid. 9 points"

(c)Cannot transfer a light but bulky object such as an empty cardboard box. 6 Points."

If you qualify under 4.(a) besides giving you 15 points, this also places you in the SG.

The empty cardboard box is an example of any light bulky object. This is applied on whether you can do it with one hand or two, at waist level, standing or sitting, or a combination of both standing and sitting.

You don't have to be able to lift and carry the object.

They can deem that you could do this with one arm or stump, using your upper body as well.

This activity is moving things at waist level, such as at a supermarket checkout, a workstation or work-top.

Therefore, you are not picking the object up and carrying it away from where you picked it up, you are simply moving it from one position to another, at waist level.

bro58

• bro58
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #103999 by bro58

Patel wrote: Thanks Bro
Can I not tick any boxes and simply say "see below"?
Do you get any points if you can do the activities with one arm and not the other?
Regards
Patel

Hi P,

" Can I not tick any boxes and simply say "see below"?"

Yes, you can.

WRAG (LCW) Activity 4. :

"Picking up and moving or transferring by the use of the upper body and arms."

SG activity 4.,

" Picking up and moving or transferring by the use of the upper body and arms (excluding standing, sitting, bending or kneeling and all other activities specified in this Schedule)"

Which may include a stump if one did not have a hand, or one hand/stump and your upper body.

This is explained in our ESA Claims Guides, and The WCA Handbook.

See page 43 onwards under this heading :

"How to explain problems with: 4. Picking up and moving
things on the same level"

Of our :

"Employment & Support Allowance claims on Physical Health Grounds. A guide to the Work Capability Assessment

(Full January 2013 Changes)"

On this page : ESA Claims Guides

Also at the bottom of page 83 onwards of the WCA Handbook, which is the 2nd link from the bottom on the same page.

Under heading :

"3.2.5 Picking up and moving.

Activity 4: Picking up and moving or transferring by use of the upper body and arms"

See my previous post regarding points, etc.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris