× Members

DLA and working tax credits

• cripamazon
  • Topic Author
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #104319 by cripamazon
DLA and working tax credits was created by cripamazon
Can you get working tax credits if you are on DLA? I thought DLA was a benefit for all people including those in work and out, but some guides I have seen suggest that you have to tell the DLA if you start work and it may affect your DLA award.
If your ESA has been stopped and you want to try to do some work (eg from home) and claim working tax credit, will this affect DLA? and does planning/writing plans for future work count as 'work'? If you come off ESA and pay NI contributions and then cannot manage work, how soon can you re-apply for ESA?
confused....
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #104331 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA and working tax credits

cripamazon wrote: Can you get working tax credits if you are on DLA? I thought DLA was a benefit for all people including those in work and out, but some guides I have seen suggest that you have to tell the DLA if you start work and it may affect your DLA award.
If your ESA has been stopped and you want to try to do some work (eg from home) and claim working tax credit, will this affect DLA? and does planning/writing plans for future work count as 'work'? If you come off ESA and pay NI contributions and then cannot manage work, how soon can you re-apply for ESA?
confused....

I think that there are actually two issues rather than one which may be why you are confused.

Can you get Tax Credits while receiving DLA, yes! In fact your receiving DLA may mean that you are also entitled to the Disability element of WTC's.

However, your DLA is not counted as income in regard to WTC's as is the case for other benefits.

DLA, in principle, is not affected by a claimant working or not, and there is no specific requirement for you to notify the DWP if you start or stop work, unless your doing also results in a Change of Circumstances. So if you are planning to start work then you also need to consider whether the work you are looking at contradicts you stated level of disability, for example; you are looking at being a postman and have an award of Higher Rate Mobility.

Even though you are only receiving NI Credits, you are still classed as having an active ESA claim, so your options for continuing to claim ESA are limited, normally you cannot work and receive ESA unless you are carrying out Permitted Work, see

Permitted Work

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cripamazon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.