× Members

ESA : In WRAG, and Appeal

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #107058 by Eag
ESA : In WRAG, and Appeal was created by Eag
Thanks for ur quick reply re Which Guide?
I have some questions under a New Topic, so better give some background also :
1. My friend has migrated from IB to ESA (CB) WRAG, after ATOS medical, scoring 21 points.
2. WCA Handbook for HCP (a Doctor in this case), which version would he have used?
3. My friend had a serious spinal injury after a fall at work, broken back, complex op., resulting in 2 titanium rods screwed permanently into spine, followed by intensive physio, etc.
3. My friend is, therefore, an Existing Case and the new reg. changes from 28 Jan.2013 will mean these changes are implemented on a case x case basis at their scheduled review point”. When will this be?
4. Prognosis by ATOS HCP Doctor on medical report......”work is unlikely in the longer term”.
Reason : “Not going to change now”.
On the ESA56 Work Sheet for the WCA (Part A), it says, “Date of further referral 05/12/2014”.
What does this mean? (This would be 2 years from first ATOS medical on 5 Dec.2012).
Also, the Conversion decision – they determined that “by reason of his physical condition none of the descriptors set out in Schedule 3 to the ESA Regulations apply. He does not have limited capability for work related activity. He will be placed in the Work Related Activity Group”.
5. At first WFI (March 2013). Saw prognosis on JC computer is 24 months.
Second WFI to take place 27 Sept.2013 ! !
6. At end of interview (exchange of information), Adviser at JC in March, willingly gave my friend an Appeal Form (GL24) which we didn't really expect, but it was sent in with other info. including facts based on “Past”, “Present” & “Future” situation. (“Future” health state re Back, which no medical expert can predict). And giving good reason why GL24 was sent in late.
7. GP was approached March 2013, he hadn't had an ESA113 or any enquiry made about my friend, and still hasn't. (Altho curtailment was applied). June 2013, my friend had a conversation with GP re a supporting letter. GP indicated this would be a waste of money. There is nothing else he can say. My friend doesn't visit re anything to do with the spinal injury/affects, only to get repeat prescriptions for the painkillers. It's a question of being stuck with what's in the Back and how you cope with the pain, discomfort, and physical limitations. What was written by the Consultant, who did the op., is from a number of years ago, and this was quoted with Appeal form. The spinal condition is not treatable in any way, won't get better, the titanium rods are in there for a life time.
8. Business friends have been asked about employment - if a suitable vacancy occurred but my friend is considered a big risk, therefore, neither would employ him.
9. Reconsideration took place but Decision has not been revised. (Still in WRAG).
10. Is it correct that from 28 July 2013 ALL Claimants will be covered by the new regs. which were effective 28 Jan.2013, no matter which ES50 Form was completed?
11. Appeal Enquiry Form returned to TS. Basing Appeal on LCWRA Except. Circs. Rules. “Some people who are not exempt & to whom none of the LCWRA descriptors apply are still eligible for the SG. This is becos the Except. Circs. Rule applies to them. You will be treated as having LCWRA if : (IN THIS CASE), you suffer from some bodily disablement and, by reasons of such disablement there would be substantial risk to the physical health of any person (THAT INCLUDES THE CLAIMANT) if you were found NOT to have LCWRA. (Reg.35).
Can this apply in this case?
12. The new regs. and the “reasonable adjustments” question – adjustments being made in the Claimants workplace. If a person is not under a contract of employment, the Claimant doesn't have a workplace, hence no reasonable adjustments can be made. E.G., if a shop worker is off with back problem for say 9 months, you might reasonably expect him/her to return to their occupation once any treatment is complete. The knowledge they have of their job versus their condition would make it “reasonable” to consider what those reasonable adjustments may be & could be put in place to help them back to work (Would all depend on what their employer would consider adjustments though). HOW does this work for those with no regular occupation?

Finally, in my friends case, if more damage was done to Back as a result of “work”, who'd be responsible? Evidence – we've given all we have – and there is no on-going treatment. What more do they want? I feel I've unburdened myself a little here with what's going round in my mind about all this and very much hope I can get some guidance from you good people. Any help or thoughts at all will be much appreciated by us both.
Thank you for your time in reading this epic, I feel I've gone on too long. Now reading your Appeals Guidance.

HangingInThere (definitely ! !)
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #107060 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA : In WRAG, and Appeal
HIT

which version would he have used?

Whichever version was available at the time, the January 2013 changes had not been presented to parliament at the time they had their assessment.

When will this be?

Based on the information in your post, either late 2014 or early 2015, although an ESA50 will be likely be issued a couple of months earlier than this, however, re-assessment dates do not form part of the Decision, so the DWP can initiate a re-assessment any time after three months have elapsed.

What does this mean?

This is the recommended re-assessment period, the DWP usually use the Decision date and this to set the next re-assessment.

no matter which ES50 Form was completed?

You have misunderstood this. From 28 July all new Decisions will be made using the January 2013 Descriptors and Regulations, existing Decisions remain unaffected, and any appeal/reconsideration will use the legislation in affect at the time of the Decision being challenged.

Can this apply in this case?

Anybody can appeal on the basis that they meet the criteria for Regulation 35, however, by presenting a case solely on the basis of Reg. 35 you are only giving one opportunity for the panel to find in your friends favour.

HOW does this work for those with no regular occupation?

I am not sure why you are asking this, the changes you have noted do not apply to Regulation 35 only Regulation 29 and only to Decision made after 28 January.

Regulation 35 requires covers Work Related Activity, not work.

who'd be responsible?

If you are asking whether your friend would have a case against the DWP if they exacerbated their condition by working, then the answer is no. Whilst in the real world you might argue that the removal of benefits might force someone to seek work when they are not capable of performing it, legally there is no link between the two.

To concentrate on any appeal, have a look at the following

Our ESA Appeal guide

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

and the following FAQs

Is there any risk to challenging a decision?

How long do I have to appeal?

How to submit an appeal

ESA medical – what forms to ask for?

Qualifying for the Support Group

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and reconsiderations

Preparing for a Tribunal

MOJ Video of ESA Appeals Process and Tribunal

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

Do I have to attend WFIs while I appeal?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cemac

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109123 by Eag
Replied by Eag on topic ESA : In WRAG, and Appeal
Hi Gordon
Apols. for not responding sooner – other commitments beckon. But thanks for your info/guidance in earlier post.
However, re my Q.12 in last post – the only reason I asked the question is that I've read so much on all to do with ESA and that particular item was just a 'generalisation' as there must be folk out there in that position.

Anyway, we now have a Trib. looming and going thru the Bundle, there's a page missing which we've determined is not a 'significant' page but the point is you have to follow this up, don't you.

Also, this next bit we're a bit puzzled by. At appeal reconsideration stage by a second DM, she says, “It is accepted that he experiences pain and discomfort but it must be remembered that work related activities do not have to be performed without any discomfort or pain”.

Can you explain this for me and my other half, please.

Thank you.
HIT
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 8 months ago #109127 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA : In WRAG, and Appeal
HIT

ESA uses the test of "significant discomfort" as the limitation for a claimant performing an activity safely.

There is no clear objective definition of how severe significant discomfort is but case law does define it as being less that "significant pain".

So, the Decision Maker is saying that there is no requirement for an activity to be performed by a claimant without discomfort or pain, but the law says it must be performed without significant discomfort or significant pain. Also it must be repeated reliably and repeatedly.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 8 months ago #109133 by Eag
Replied by Eag on topic ESA : In WRAG, and Appeal
Thank you Gordon - can get the head round that now, and will bear in mind at the Trib.
(........reliably, repeatedly and safely).

HIT

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.