× Members

Decision letter but not really the wiser

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109007 by pollenpath
Decision letter but not really the wiser was created by pollenpath
I moved last week. Rang the ESA number and spoke to a fairly cold operative. I asked him, since my latest ESA50 had gone back mid-June, had a decision been made. He claimed it hadn't. However, a week before I'd rung and spoken to a delightful and incredibly human and helpful person who explained that I appeared to have been automatically reassessed but actually there are claimants they don't actually expect to be fit for work again and she couldn't figure out why they'd want to reassess me at present. She said she'd email another department and recommend I wasn't troubled again for another 3 years. I couldn't believe my ears but she sounded entirely genuine and compassionate and said I should hear something in writing within a couple of weeks. I've been in Support Group since March last year when I was moved over from IB.

Well then of course I had dreaded that my ringing them to inform them of a change of address a week later might draw attention to me and make someone bloodyminded enough to decide I should be re-reassessed! That was last Monday. On Friday morning I got the dreaded brown envelope. It said they had looked at my claim again following a recent change. From 13 April 2013 my ESA will be £106.50 a week. Further on it says this amount will apply to 29 November 2013.

I know the letter and dates are 'stock' and apply to everyone who gets a decision at the moment. What I'm left wondering is, has the letter automatically been triggered because I changed address and therefore bears no relation to the conversation I had a fortnight ago? Or is it possible that the decision has been made and I somehow need to find out if the 3 year thing she promised will now influence the handling of my claim for the foreseeable future? I wasn't called for a WCA after I sent back the ESA, incidentally. I simply hadn't heard a thing until I called them two weeks ago.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 8 months ago #109010 by

pollenpath wrote: I moved last week. Rang the ESA number and spoke to a fairly cold operative. I asked him, since my latest ESA50 had gone back mid-June, had a decision been made. He claimed it hadn't. However, a week before I'd rung and spoken to a delightful and incredibly human and helpful person who explained that I appeared to have been automatically reassessed but actually there are claimants they don't actually expect to be fit for work again and she couldn't figure out why they'd want to reassess me at present. She said she'd email another department and recommend I wasn't troubled again for another 3 years. I couldn't believe my ears but she sounded entirely genuine and compassionate and said I should hear something in writing within a couple of weeks. I've been in Support Group since March last year when I was moved over from IB.

Well then of course I had dreaded that my ringing them to inform them of a change of address a week later might draw attention to me and make someone bloodyminded enough to decide I should be re-reassessed! That was last Monday. On Friday morning I got the dreaded brown envelope. It said they had looked at my claim again following a recent change. From 13 April 2013 my ESA will be £106.50 a week. Further on it says this amount will apply to 29 November 2013.

I know the letter and dates are 'stock' and apply to everyone who gets a decision at the moment. What I'm left wondering is, has the letter automatically been triggered because I changed address and therefore bears no relation to the conversation I had a fortnight ago? Or is it possible that the decision has been made and I somehow need to find out if the 3 year thing she promised will now influence the handling of my claim for the foreseeable future? I wasn't called for a WCA after I sent back the ESA, incidentally. I simply hadn't heard a thing until I called them two weeks ago.

Hi pp,

As you know the dates on the letter are for administrative purposes.

The April date is probably tied to the annual benefit uprating and the November date, is tied in with the Xmas bonus payment, which occurs in the next pay week after that.

We have had other members who have received such letters after submitting another ESA50 on reassessment. In their case it was established that they had been kept in The SG.

You need to write to The DWP, and ask them to clarify in writing whether a decision has been made, and if so, which group of ESA you have been placed in.

You could also request the length of the prognosis of the award as well.

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

I'm not trying to build your hopes up, just relating other member's experiences. The only way to be sure, is to get it in black and white.

bro58

10 years 8 months ago #109012 by
Hi pp,

mg was one of those members, see this topic :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...&limitstart=0#106514

bro58

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109059 by pollenpath
Replied by pollenpath on topic Decision letter but not really the wiser
Thanks bro58 for your helpful response :)

I should've said that on the page of the letter where it gives the amount of benefit to be paid to me, it indicates that I'll continue to receive part of it because I'm in the Support Group. I don't have it to hand just now, but you probably know the score, it pays you 70-something quid and then adds 30-something quid if you're in the Support Group. Or words to that effect ;)

Thanks for the link to that other thread, it made for a gripping read! Glad it had such a happy ending for the lady concerned. I think when I'm feeling stronger I'll write to the DWP in Belfast and ask them if they'd send me a better idea of how long it's likely to be before my next ESA50. Fingers crossed. As soon as I know, I'll let the forum know.

Thanks again!

10 years 8 months ago #109061 by

pollenpath wrote: Thanks bro58 for your helpful response :)

I should've said that on the page of the letter where it gives the amount of benefit to be paid to me, it indicates that I'll continue to receive part of it because I'm in the Support Group. I don't have it to hand just now, but you probably know the score, it pays you 70-something quid and then adds 30-something quid if you're in the Support Group. Or words to that effect ;)

Thanks for the link to that other thread, it made for a gripping read! Glad it had such a happy ending for the lady concerned. I think when I'm feeling stronger I'll write to the DWP in Belfast and ask them if they'd send me a better idea of how long it's likely to be before my next ESA50. Fingers crossed. As soon as I know, I'll let the forum know.

Thanks again!

Hi pp,

Glad to have been of assistance !! :)

Are you based in N Ireland ?

bro58

10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109063 by

bro58 wrote:

pollenpath wrote: Thanks bro58 for your helpful response :)

Thanks again!

Hi pp,

Glad to have been of assistance !! :)

Are you based in N Ireland ?

bro58

Hi pp,

Just to clarify, I am not being nosey regarding my query as to whether or not you are based in NI. :laugh:

It is just that there is a large DWP mail distribution centre based in Belfast, where letters are also generated and sent to claimants on mainland UK.

Some claimants make the mistake of thinking that they should contact Belfast.

If you are based in mainland UK, you should write to the local DWP Benefits Office that deals with your ESA.

Of course, if you are in NI and your local office happens to be Belfast, you can disregard my ramblings. :)

bro58

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.