× Members

Same Doc - Both Appeals..

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109045 by RobJean
Replied by RobJean on topic Same Doc - Both Appeals..
More Info..

The relevant case law on the test of bias

34. The test for apparent bias was set out by Lord Hope of Craighead in Porter v Magill [2001] UKHL 67 at paragraph 103:

“The question is whether the fair-minded and informed observer, having considered the facts, would conclude that there was a real possibility that the tribunal was biased.”

35. As Mr Commissioner Lloyd-Davies (as he then was) observed in R(DLA) 3/07, there are accordingly two questions to be resolved:

“First, what are the facts which are said to give rise to the possibility that the tribunal was biased. Secondly, whether a fair-minded and informed observer would conclude that there was a real possibility, in the light of those facts, that the tribunal was biased.”

Question: Do you think (in your personal opinion - or otherwise) that I am 'flogging a dead horse' with impartiality and percieved bias route ?

Note: This is all speculative/inquisitorial at this time.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #109048 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Same Doc - Both Appeals..
RJ

I understand your need for an answer, but this is a legal matter and we are not qualified to comment.

There is a copy of the Bench Book in the Members Area, it is not the latest copy which is not in the public domain, so I do not know if there are any changes in this area.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/dla

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobJean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.