× Members

Same Doc - Both Appeals..

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #109045 by RobJean
Replied by RobJean on topic Same Doc - Both Appeals..
More Info..

The relevant case law on the test of bias

34. The test for apparent bias was set out by Lord Hope of Craighead in Porter v Magill [2001] UKHL 67 at paragraph 103:

“The question is whether the fair-minded and informed observer, having considered the facts, would conclude that there was a real possibility that the tribunal was biased.”

35. As Mr Commissioner Lloyd-Davies (as he then was) observed in R(DLA) 3/07, there are accordingly two questions to be resolved:

“First, what are the facts which are said to give rise to the possibility that the tribunal was biased. Secondly, whether a fair-minded and informed observer would conclude that there was a real possibility, in the light of those facts, that the tribunal was biased.”

Question: Do you think (in your personal opinion - or otherwise) that I am 'flogging a dead horse' with impartiality and percieved bias route ?

Note: This is all speculative/inquisitorial at this time.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #109048 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Same Doc - Both Appeals..
RJ

I understand your need for an answer, but this is a legal matter and we are not qualified to comment.

There is a copy of the Bench Book in the Members Area, it is not the latest copy which is not in the public domain, so I do not know if there are any changes in this area.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/dla

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobJean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris