× Members

Studying and ESA

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109604 by mumsgirl
Studying and ESA was created by mumsgirl
I remember a few months ago a member wrote a question about studying with the O.U while on ESA. I think they were advised not to do it by another member for fear of losing benefits? I have been 'searching' for the question (and answers) but unfortunately I have been unsuccessful. Could someone please provide a link to it if they know what I am talking about? Thanks
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109606 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Studying and ESA

mumsgirl wrote: I remember a few months ago a member wrote a question about studying with the O.U while on ESA. I think they were advised not to do it by another member for fear of losing benefits? I have been 'searching' for the question (and answers) but unfortunately I have been unsuccessful. Could someone please provide a link to it if they know what I am talking about? Thanks

I cannot easily find the post that you are referring to but I can explain the issue.

Whether it is a god idea or not depends on why you have need awarded ESA, by doing an OU course or anything similar there will be assumptions made in regard to your capabilities.

Most courses require 10+ study a week, this shows concentration, the ability to perform tasks, to work to timescales, to learn new things, there may be additional assumptions in regard to dexterity, sitting and so on. Most courses require students to attend study classes, this means interacting with strangers, I could go on.

Of course, if your limitations are such that doing a course would not be seen as contradictory, for example Mobilising, then there should be no reason why it would be an issue.

I hope this explains it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 8 months ago #109608 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Studying and ESA
I think this might be the thread you were talking about - although I don't know whether it will actually be any help to you!

ESA student thread

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109611 by mumsgirl
Replied by mumsgirl on topic Studying and ESA
Thank you both. Gordon, can I have your opinion on my circumstances please - I was awarded ESA SG on excep cirs. My claim was for MH problems that included lack of concentration, agoraphobia, social phobia etc, but I don't appear to have passed any of these as I was awarded excep cirs instead. So would studying with OU contradict my award. It's not something I can consider doing just now (or maybe ever) as I really do have the MH problems I claim to have but it's something i'd like to know for future reference.
And what happens when you study - do you let DWP/JCP know or do the OU let them know on your behalf, as you have to give them your NI no.

More
10 years 8 months ago #109614 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Studying and ESA

mumsgirl wrote: Thank you both. Gordon, can I have your opinion on my circumstances please - I was awarded ESA SG on excep cirs. My claim was for MH problems that included lack of concentration, agoraphobia, social phobia etc, but I don't appear to have passed any of these as I was awarded excep cirs instead. So would studying with OU contradict my award. It's not something I can consider doing just now (or maybe ever) as I really do have the MH problems I claim to have but it's something i'd like to know for future reference.
And what happens when you study - do you let DWP/JCP know or do the OU let them know on your behalf, as you have to give them your NI no.

To qualify for the Support Group under Regulation 35 it would have had to been accepted that your performing Work Related Activity would be a danger to your health, whilst there is no clear definition of what WRA consists of, things that it is reasonable to assume are included would be training, producing reports, meeting with other people in places away from your home, activities that are very similar to those that you might be expected to do on a OU course.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: mumsgirl

More
10 years 8 months ago #109938 by mind_control

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.