× Members

Tribunal Outcome

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109793 by Spridgett
Tribunal Outcome was created by Spridgett
Good afternoon,

I am currently awaiting an ESA Tribunal hearing against my unsuccessful migration from IB to ESA, when I received 12 points at the WCA. I am fortunate to be represented by a senior benefits officer who, after failing to get the original fit for work decision overturned at the reconsideration stage, has now sent a submission to the Tribunal Service on my behalf. On Saturday, I received a letter from the Tribunal Service enclosing a copy of a supplementary submission from the DWP in relation to my case, which basically agrees that I do have mobility issues “sufficient to raise the total award of points above the threshold for LCW and should have been placed in the WRAG”.

In her submission, however, the benefits officer stated that not only should I, at the very least, have been awarded sufficient points to have been granted WRAG status but that I should have been placed in the SG, in respect of the mobilization descriptor. In their supplemental submission, the DWP contended that, in relation to this, the evidence of the HCP’s report contradicted the statements from my Representative and they were not completely satisfied that the effects on my functional capabilities were sufficient to award placement in the SG.

“Consequently the decision appealed against has not been changed.”

Would you say that the above, i.e. appearing to back down but not to change the decision, is normal practice by the DWP and, having referred to the above, in principle, do you think I should be guardedly optimistic that my appeal to be awarded ESA in the WRAG, if not the SG, is likely to succeed at Tribunal?

Also, am I safe to assume that the Tribunal Service will have sent a copy of this supplemental submission to my Representative, even though it does not indicate this in the letter, as her details were provided on the Tribunal enquiry form, or should I confirm this with the Clerk?

I am currently unable to refer any of the above to my Representative, as she is away until the middle of September, and hence your unofficial advice would be very gratefully received.

Thank you.

Spridgett
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109794 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Tribunal Outcome
Spridgett

I do not think you can draw any conclusions in either direction with regard to this letter, however, I would contact your advisor and also have a look at the submission that they have written.

Without knowing what has been written in regard your mobility it is not really possible to offer any further advice, they seem to be suggesting that there are problems with either the ATOS medical report or the DM's original Decision, but despite this they will not award because of what your representative has written about your mobility. This suggests that either the advisor has "skipped" over your mobility problems or not detailed them sufficiently, however, it is also possible that they have constructed an excuse to fit the circumstances and there is nothing wrong with the submission.

Unfortunately, as the original Decision was not revised you have no choice but to proceed to Appeal.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109801 by Spridgett
Replied by Spridgett on topic Tribunal Outcome
Dear Gordon,

Thank you for your response. In essence, the problem with regard to my ESA claim and mobility issues is that, both on the ESA50 questionnaire and at the ATOS assessment, I inadvertently gave an incorrect figure when referring to how far I could mobilise in relation to the length of my garden! I know that you are unable to offer advice on personal cases, but basically I failed to convert feet to metres correctly and, as a result, gave a gross overestimate as to the length of my garden. However, my Representative and I have been able to provide documentary proof as to its correct length, which was entered in the appeal submission. The ATOS assessor gave me nil points for mobility, even though the incorrect distance I quoted was 75 metres (should have been approximately 31 feet!), which should have scored me some points at least. Moreover, at no time did the assessor see me mobilise, either on foot or by self propelling my manual wheelchair. In fact, she commented in her report that I could benefit from the use of an electric wheelchair, which I understand does not form part of the WCA!

As you say, I will have to discuss this further with my Representative, when she returns to her office. However, returning to the final strand of my original post, the letter from the Tribunal Service does not indicate that a copy of this latest document has been circulated to my Representative. Am I safe to assume that it has or would it be best to confirm this with the Clerk?

Thank you once again.

Spridgett
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 8 months ago #109811 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Tribunal Outcome
Spridgett

They should have sent your representative a copy if their information was on the Tribunal form, but obviously, you will not know until you speak to them.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spridgett

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.