× Members

Worried about yearly review - ESA SG (Warning TMI)

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109824 by LadyLuna
Hi all

I don't post much but do keep my eye on B&WF for updates.

Last year with your help I was placed in the Support Group for 1 year. I was almost crippled walking with a stick. I constantly felt ill. I am extremely morbidly obese which has come on in the last 7-8 years.

Since my medical last November, I kept visiting my doctors with many problems and finally after many tests, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, (under-active thyroid), Hashimoto's Disease, which means my body is destroying my thyroid, osteoarthritis, severe Vitamin D deficiency and deficient in Vit B12, Iron and Folic acid.

I cannot begin to tell you how ill I have been since starting treatment. Some of my levels have risen and I am now on 100mg Levothyroxine but I still suffer terrible symptoms. I constantly fall asleep, have the most terrible monthly periods, (sometimes bleeding very heavily for 3 weeks at a time), days where the pain is so bad in my legs I cry and the leg swelling. I have better days when walking isn't so painful, but I never know what will happen til I awake in the morning. I still can't walk very far at all, some days barely make it to the loo.

I am booked to see a Professor in Endocrinology in October as it appears my surgery at my old address didn't pick up on my symptoms and my doctor thinks I have been suffering from this for around 7-8 years. The general feeling from the doctor is it could take 7-8 years to fully recover and I am more likely to get another autoimmune condition.

I am petrified about having to attend another medical. I have not yet informed them of my condition and just really want some advice. Will I have to face the medical again or can they way I fill in the form keep me in the Support Group? What happens if I can't get to a medical? I had a friend take me last time but they are booked to be away overseas this year.

All advice gratefully received.
Thank you.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #109827 by Gordon
Lady Luna

I am afraid there are very few guarantees in regard to claiming benefits, so I cannot provide a sure fire way to avoid another medical or how to ensure that you are placed in the Support Group.

The best way to deal with these problems is to provide ATOS and the DWP with a detailed ESA50 and medical evidence to support you limitation

If you are expecting to be re-assessed in November then you may well receive a new ESA50 this month, so you should start preparing now. The ESA Regulations and Descriptors were updated in January so you should make use of our latest guides.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

There is an electronic version of the ESA50 which may make it easier to complete

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

With regard to your last question, you are allowed to miss or re-arrange one appointment for an assessment, a failure to attend a second appointment usually results in the claimants file being returned to the DWP, with the possibility of your claim being closed.

Have you looked at the possibility of asking for a home assessment, you will need the support of your GP as they will need to provide a written statement as to why you cannot attend.

If you need more information, please reply to this post.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109831 by LadyLuna
Hi Gordon,
Thanks for your reply.

I have terrible brain fog and am not very clear sometimes, so please forgive me.

I am happy to provide all the information they need. When I visit the Endo, I suspect he will do a myriad of tests to ascertain any other problems the doctors do not have the authority to investigate on the NHS. The obesity is to do with the thyroid being damaged too.

I will look through everything you have posted and get everything together.

I know you cannot guarantee anything, but I only ask questions in the best way I can at the moment.

Thank you for your help thus far.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 8 months ago #109832 by Gordon

LadyLuna wrote: Hi Gordon,
Thanks for your reply.

I have terrible brain fog and am not very clear sometimes, so please forgive me.

I am happy to provide all the information they need. When I visit the Endo, I suspect he will do a myriad of tests to ascertain any other problems the doctors do not have the authority to investigate on the NHS. The obesity is to do with the thyroid being damaged too.

I will look through everything you have posted and get everything together.

I know you cannot guarantee anything, but I only ask questions in the best way I can at the moment.

Thank you for your help thus far.

The important thing to remember is that it is not your conditions that is being tested but the effect that they have on your daily living and specifically in respect to the ESA Descriptors.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.