× Members

Change of address triggers reassessment?

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 7 months ago #110128 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Change of address triggers reassessment?
A change of address is not considered a change of circumstances. However, claimants have to notify the DWP of a change in address. You state that 'you've read this somewhere' can you please provide a link.

I'm now nearly 73 years old and have been in receipt of DLA for many years. Due to a gradual worsening of my mobility & care needs due to MS, asthma, COPD and severe arthritis, I've had to move house on a number of occasions in the last few years, but it has never triggered a review of my DLA award, or before I retired and was on IB, again I was never reviewed.

To the best of my knowledge, you will not find in any DWP literature that moving home amounts to a change in circumstances.

Jim
retired Welfare Rights Lawyer & former Social Security Appeals tribunal member.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 7 months ago #110148 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Change of address triggers reassessment?
To correct myself on changes in circumstances, see What happens if a customer’s circumstances change

This the only section that refers to Changes at Home :

Changes at home

We need to know if your customer or their partner:

move to a different address
go into a care home, (your customer should also tell us if their Attendance Allowance stops as a result of them going into a care home)
decide to buy where they live
take out a mortgage or loan for repairs or improvements to their home, or
want to change their bank account for Pension Credit payments.
They must also tell us if:

the capital balance on their mortgage increases, or
their mortgage or loan is paid off.
If their Pension Credit includes an extra amount for housing costs, they must tell us if someone:

comes to live in their home
living in their home, leaves or goes into hospital
living in their home, starts or stops work, or
living in their home, starts to get, or stops getting, Pension Credit.
See Non-dependant deductions from Pension Credit for information about how these changes can affect Pension Credit.

If your customer or their partner are 65 or over, the extra amount for housing costs may not go down immediately if someone comes to live in their home or starts work, but they should still tell us.

Your customer must also tell us if:

they are getting the extra amount for severe disability and someone comes to live in their home, or
they are not getting that extra amount because someone has been living in their home and they leave.

However, nothing to suggest that a claimants benefits will be reassessed for IB/ESA or DLA.

But could possibly be if they receive Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, which are of course benefits that we don't deal with.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: kotenok

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.