× Members

Contribution Based ESA and assets

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110102 by Fran Peake
Contribution Based ESA and assets was created by Fran Peake
DWP are unable to pay me ESA because I receive a pension. I receive a pension because I was retired due to ill health this year at the age of 53. I thought contribution based meant that your income was not taken into consideration? This does not seem fair. I have over 30 years of National Insurance contributions. Could anyone give me some advice? I can't claim income related ESA.Can't get a job because no-one would employ me - my sick record would be too great.
This is the first time I have posted a message anywhere, hope I have done it right.
Can't stop crying, feels like I have been shoved on the scrapheap.
Sorry know there are lots of people worse off than me.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110104 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Contribution Based ESA and assets

Fran wrote: DWP are unable to pay me ESA because I receive a pension. I receive a pension because I was retired due to ill health this year at the age of 53. I thought contribution based meant that your income was not taken into consideration? This does not seem fair. I have over 30 years of National Insurance contributions. Could anyone give me some advice? I can't claim income related ESA.Can't get a job because no-one would employ me - my sick record would be too great.
This is the first time I have posted a message anywhere, hope I have done it right.
Can't stop crying, feels like I have been shoved on the scrapheap.
Sorry know there are lots of people worse off than me.

Hi F,

I gather that your Occupational Pension (OP) is quite a lot more than £85/week.

You are correct in that income, asset, capital and savings are not taken into account when receiving CB ESA.

However, much like Incapacity Benefit, if your OP exceeds £85/week, you will have 50p/week deducted from your ESA, for every pound that your OP is in excess of the £85/week.

e.g. OP = £105/week = £20 in excess = £10/week deducted from your CB ESA.

There are exceptions to this for some claimants who have been successfully converted over to ESA from IB where their OP was previously disregarded. :

Will my pension be disregarded under ESA?

You should still receive NI Credits which will go towards your State Pension.

bro58

• bro58
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110110 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Contribution Based ESA and assets
Hi F,

Try not to feel too bad over this, there is little that you could have done to avoid this situation. :(

Another alternative may be to make a claim for PIP, which is not affected by capital , assets, saving, income, or OP.

See : PIP information, including PIP Self Test

&

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

Please reply to this topic if you have any further queries.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.