× Members

DLA AWARD TAKEN AWAY BY ADJUDICATOR.

More
10 years 8 months ago #110314 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA AWARD TAKEN AWAY BY ADJUDICATOR.
Mel B

We are not aware of an adverse DLA Decision having an effect on an IB award, although I am surprised that you have not already been transferred to ESA.

In regard the DLA, now that a Reconsideration has been made, you have two ways forward.

As there is currently no award in place you can make a new claim for PIP, the criteria for PIP is very different from that for DLA, so you should have a look at our PIP Claim guide to see whether you are likely to qualify.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You can appeal the DLA Decision. You can do this in parallel to making a new claim for PIP, but any Decision on the PIP claim will limit any award that a Tribunal might make.

To appeal have a look at our DLA Appeal guide

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/dla/#dlaappeals

and the following FAQs

How long do I have to appeal?

How to submit an appeal

DLA Medical – What forms to ask for?

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and reconsiderations

Preparing for a Tribunal

MOJ Video of ESA Appeals Process and Tribunal

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law), Mel B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #110354 by Mel B
Replied by Mel B on topic DLA AWARD TAKEN AWAY BY ADJUDICATOR.
Hello

In my issues with the Adjudicators and not getting a proper explanation to why my claim has been rejected and my original DlA taken away. Jim you mention natual Justice and set aside.

I have sent them a letter today explaining I do not accept their explaination as acceptable and have asked for a proper detailed explantion not just quotes from the law they use.

If , as I expect they do not comply and I still get quotes ! What will happen at the appeal? Will this go in my favor and does set aside mean they will not go ahead with the appeal until I get a proper explanation?

I am starting the appeal procedure next week and am looking for a good legal rep to help me at the hearing . Two good heads are better than one, as I was going on my own .

Thanks in advance.

Mel b

More
10 years 8 months ago #110359 by Gordon
Mel B

Whilst the DWP are supposed to provide a written Statement of Reasons when requested by a claimant, there is no clear definition as to what that consists of, as a consequence the DWP often send what they believe constitutes a SoR, I have moderated for over three years and I know of only one member who has received a document that they were happy to call a SoR

The Tribunals role is to re-make the original Decision based on the evidence available to them at the hearing and your personal testimony on the day, the SoR or whatever you receive from the "DWP" will be treated as evidence and will be weighed by the panel as any other document will.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 8 months ago #110398 by Mel B
Replied by Mel B on topic DLA AWARD TAKEN AWAY BY ADJUDICATOR.
Hi Gordon

Thanks for your reply. They dont want to commit themselves to anything specific so you can nail them at the appeal. Maybe I will be lucky this time but wont hold my breath.

The other thing that get me mad is the Adjudicator at reconsideration can disallow awards. I think this is wrong . Once you have an award only the appeal panel should be able to take it away with a good reason.

To make a statement that: bear in mind if you have a reconsideration we can take away an award is a threat !!

Its there to put you off contesting... Its wrong !!

Thats why I always read : I am frightened to have a reconsideration! The threat works and they know it..
I compair it to having a parking ticket and the company tells you if you contest it you could have the amount increased. It would prevent alot of contesting.

They should only be allowed to keep it the same or increase the award.

Probably wasting my breath it wont change.. but thats my view.

Getting off my soap box now.

Many thanks again for you reply.

Mel b

More
10 years 8 months ago #110404 by Gordon
Mel B

Both a Reconsideration and an Appeal re-make the original Decision and can therefore make any decision that the original Decision could make, it is unusual for a Reconsideration to result in a reduced or removed award but it is always a possibility.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.