× Members

bed room tax

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110310 by valerie
bed room tax was created by valerie
can any one tell me how you how u go about getting discrencery payment for this tax going out of my mind abel to pay just now as i recive d l a but i am sure thats going to stop help if you can x
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #110311 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic bed room tax

valerie wrote: can any one tell me how you how u go about getting discrencery payment for this tax going out of my mind abel to pay just now as i recive d l a but i am sure thats going to stop help if you can x

You need to contact your Local Authority, you should be able to find their website by doing an internet search.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: valerie

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117746 by valerie
Replied by valerie on topic bed room tax
hi recived a letter abought a month ago saying that the 1996 act applyes to me thay sent me a letter saying that I had an under payment of£513 I phoned the housing to day and thay said that the money has been paid into an account that I would not get it all back as I have to pay a month rent in advance I don't understand as my benifet pays the rent I have not missed a payment of the bedroom tax since it started in april con you tell me if this right as I thought I would get it all back thanks
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117760 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic bed room tax

valerie wrote: hi recived a letter abought a month ago saying that the 1996 act applyes to me thay sent me a letter saying that I had an under payment of£513 I phoned the housing to day and thay said that the money has been paid into an account that I would not get it all back as I have to pay a month rent in advance I don't understand as my benifet pays the rent I have not missed a payment of the bedroom tax since it started in april con you tell me if this right as I thought I would get it all back thanks

Hi v,

We don't really advise on Bedroom Tax.

If you were covered by the "1996 Loophole" in the HB Legislation, then the underpayment that you mention will be to cover monies owed to you due to that.

As it seems that you are up to date with your obligation to pay the Bedroom Tax part of your rent that was not covered by HB, the £513 should be to cover that.

Theoretically as you have been paying it, you are entitled to be reimbursed for the total amount that you have paid since 01/04/13.

Maybe what they are saying is that your tenancy agreement states that you must pay your rent one month in advance, I don't know ?.

The only way to clarify this is to contact your Landlord, as the LA HB department may well have paid this underpayment direct to the Landlord, therefore if that is the case, you would have to claim the monies back from your Landlord.

Don't forget, the government have stated that they are altering the legislation to close this loophole in March 2014, so after that time, you may then be liable to pay Bedroom Tax once more.

See :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/2575-bedr...rds-plan-to-close-it

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/2617-bedroom-tax-loophole-closed

nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2014/01/bedroom-t...96-claims-exemption/

nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2014/01/bedroom-t...996-claim-exemption/

And more here :

speye.wordpress.com/2014/01/

Here is a list of potential sources of advice is needed :

Where to get advice

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.