× Members

severe disability premium

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #110386 by gmpatterson
severe disability premium was created by gmpatterson
Hi there. My disabled adult daughter lives with my husband and myself. She receives income-based ESA (support group) and has just been awarded middle rate care component of DLA (in addition to lower rate mobility component). She has now received a claim form for severe disability premium which asks "who lives with her". Previous claim forms have stated that in her situation, no-one lives with her (in her household, as it were), because she lives with us (in our household). Does this also apply for this new claim form? The wording suggests it is asking about her household, but it is not at all clear. Thanks for any help or advice
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #110394 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic severe disability premium

Berni wrote: Hi there. My disabled adult daughter lives with my husband and myself. She receives income-based ESA (support group) and has just been awarded middle rate care component of DLA (in addition to lower rate mobility component). She has now received a claim form for severe disability premium which asks "who lives with her". Previous claim forms have stated that in her situation, no-one lives with her (in her household, as it were), because she lives with us (in our household). Does this also apply for this new claim form? The wording suggests it is asking about her household, but it is not at all clear. Thanks for any help or advice

I would get face to face advice, the rules on who is in the household can be quite complicated, basically she needs to be living alone or as if she was alone in order to qualify, usually this involves separate rent agreements and living spaces, but dependant on your circumstances it may still be possible to argue that she is alone, but you may have to fight for it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 8 months ago #110405 by gmpatterson
Replied by gmpatterson on topic severe disability premium
Thanks. It seems a bit odd (not that unusual in Benefitsland, of course). She isn't living alone / as if she was alone because she has the disability.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.