× Members

Physical Descriptors and Mental Health Problems

• Alsn
  • Topic Author
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110415 by Alsn
Hi, I have what's hopefully a quick question.

I've read B&W's excellent guides to filling in the ESA50, and done a forum search, and there's one thing that I'm unsure of. I fulfill a few of the descriptors for physical problems but because of my mental health condition (not medication for it, the actual illness).

(For example I couldn't reliably communicate the presence of a hazard (descriptor 6) due to going mute and freezing up when under stress, and because of dissociation and intrusive memories I have "an involuntary episode of lost or altered consciousness resulting in significantly disrupted awareness or concentration" most days (descriptor 10).)

If I write about these problems under the physical health section, I don't expect them to count as I've read in other posts that in principle you don't get points unless it's for a physical condition but "there is no definitive list of whether any particular illness or disablement is physical, mental, or a combination of the two ... our advice is to ignore the rule and state your case". Also, I would struggle to tick "No" when asked if I have problems which I do have, just because the questions are pigeonholed as relating to physical health. To do so would really feel like lying.

So what I'm thinking is that maybe I should write about them in the physical section then include them again under mental health additional information, is this a good or bad idea do you think?

Any advice or pointers to somewhere I could find an answer very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110417 by slugsta
Our attitude is that DWP can only say 'no' if you include things where you think they are appropriate on the form. If you don't include them then they have no chance to accept them.

On this basis, you should include whatever information seems appropriate for each and every question. Don't worry about repeating yourself, that is inevitable with the way the form is devised.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by slugsta. Reason: tick

• bro58
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110420 by bro58
Hi A,

Just to add to the good advice given by MHB.

Don't be restricted by the tick box options. If you feel that none of them pertaining to a particular question are applicable to your own limitations, don't feel obliged to tick them.

Simply state words to the affect that, the tick box options are not applicable, then go into detail in the text box below (or on added A4 sheet) of your own limitations.

bro58

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.