× Members

ESA and permitted work

• Samantha
  • Topic Author
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110467 by Samantha
ESA and permitted work was created by Samantha
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find an answer either here or elsewhere online that I can find.

I'm claiming ESA (in support group) contributions based, housing benefit and council tax benefit currently.

I worked full time until early last year, when I went off sick. I started claiming ESA once my sickpay entitlement ended.
I am still a long way from well, (and will probably never be able to work full time again), but have improved enough with treatment that I want to try to go back to work a few hours a week. I will be starting doing just two hours a week, and building up from there hopefully.

So I'm looking at permitted work rules, but have two questions I can't find answers to.
The higher earnings limit is £99.50 per week, doing less than 16 hours.

1) is this amount before or after deductions?

2) what happens if I do less than 16 hours, but earn more than the earnings limit?
Does any extra get taken off my benefits, so I'm always £99.50 per week better off?
Or does earning over the limit mean I have to come off ESA totally, as it's no longer permitted work?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
Samantha
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110470 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and permitted work
Samantha

The £99.50 is after deductions, but not everything is deductible.

Both the £99.50 and the 16 hours are absolute limits, if you exceed them, you run the risk of being classed as doing Remunerative Work and your ESA claim being closed.

Only the DWP can confirm that what you are doing is classed as Permitted Work, so they can tell you what is deductible and what is not for the job you are considering.

You should also be aware, whilst doing PW is not in it itself a reason to change your current ESA award, the fact that you are doing it will be taken into account at any future assessment, so you she be careful to ensure that whatever you do does not contradict the stated limitations that have placed you in the Support Group in the first place.

As an absurd example, if you were placed in the SG due to the Mobilising Descriptor and you took a job delivering mail on foot, you should expect it to be an issue.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Samantha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.