× Members

Appeal Confusion - Help Please

• simtrav
  • Topic Author
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110628 by simtrav
Appeal Confusion - Help Please was created by simtrav
In summary:
I have been in receipt of I/B from 1995.

I was required to attend an ATOS medical exam in 2008 and a few weeks later I received confirmation from the DWP that my I/B would continue until the review date in 2013.

In April 2013 I received the Form ESA50 (01/13) and completed this and returned it a few days later.

In first few days of June 2013 I received a letter from DWP stating my benefit is now changed to ESA and I’ve been placed in WRAG group. No explanation or grounds given as to why I’m placed in WRAG and so I appealed the decision on the grounds I believe the cumulative effect of my medical conditions hadn’t been fully taken into account and I should therefore be placed in the Support Group.

In July 2013 I received letter CAP 23 acknowledging my Appeal application.

In July 2013 I then received a letter from my local JC+ asking me to attend a Work-focussed interview. This was subsequently arranged, due to my medical conditions, as an over the telephone interview. The interview concluded with the advisor telling me to apply for more Mobility Benefits and that I would not be required to attend any further work focussed interviews for the next two years or fill out any more DWP forms for the next 2 years.

In September 2013 I received a duplicate CAP 23 letter acknowledging my appeal application.

A few days later I received a bundle of documents and a letter from DWP Appeals confirming my appeal is now being passed to Tribunal Service.

It appears from the documents in the bundle that the decision to place me in the WRAG was done by a Registered Nurse in May 2013 who made the recommendation to place me in the WRAG after reviewing only the paper evidence contained in the 2008 ATOS Medical Report, my replies given in the 2013 ESA50 and GL24 Forms and because I therefore do not meet the Support Group criteria.

The report states that I meet the criteria for having limited ability for work and that work is unlikely for 2 years.

In June 2013 I asked my GP for an urgent review of my medical condition (to support my appeal) but due to an administrative error this review has been delayed but is in the process of being urgently pursued by me.

I am waiting for the Tribunal hearing date and wonder if I may be able to ask for a delay of the hearing if my medical review is not available in time for the hearing date.

I feel confused as though I have been bounced into this situation from lack of clarity by the DWP and would very much appreciate any helpful comments please.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #110635 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Appeal Confusion - Help Please
The tribunal can only consider your condition as it was when the decision was first made, they cannot take into account anything that has happened since. If your GP report relates to your condition as it was then it must make this fact 100% clear, otherwise it will be disregarded.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110637 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Appeal Confusion - Help Please
Yes st,

You need to show that you qualified for the SG at the time of the adverse WRAG decision.

In that you either qualified for the SG under at least one of the :

SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors

Or, if none of those were applicable, under ESA Reg 35. (2) (a) & (b) :

"(2) A claimant who does not have limited capability for work-related activity as determined in accordance with regulation 34(1) is to be treated as having limited capability for work-related activity if—

(a)the claimant suffers from some specific disease or bodily or mental disablement;

and

(b)by reasons of such disease or disablement, there would be a substantial risk to the mental or physical health of any person if the claimant were found not to have limited capability for work-related activity."

ESA Reg 35 for entry to The SG (LCWRA)

You may wish to review the relevant ESA Claims Guides on this page :

ESA Claims Guides

If you wished to request an adjournment to the Tribunal hearing, you would have to do so, as soon as you receive a date.

There is no guarantee that The TS would comply with any such request.

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by bro58.

• simtrav
  • Topic Author
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110720 by simtrav
Replied by simtrav on topic Appeal Confusion - Help Please
Thanks for reply MrsH

This is precisely my point. It appears they have based the decision upon an old 2008 ATOS medical report which included medical evidence supplied by me than dated 2005 and the answers I gave on my ESA50 Form and the GLA24 (Disagreeing with a decision) Form. I am pretty sure (will check later) the ESA50 Form Notes said - no need to supply Med3 from GP.

Seems to me wrong they can base a decision upon old medical evidence - especially when the condition has worsened since 2008.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 7 months ago #110725 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Appeal Confusion - Help Please

simtrav wrote: Thanks for reply MrsH

This is precisely my point. It appears they have based the decision upon an old 2008 ATOS medical report which included medical evidence supplied by me than dated 2005 and the answers I gave on my ESA50 Form and the GLA24 (Disagreeing with a decision) Form. I am pretty sure (will check later) the ESA50 Form Notes said - no need to supply Med3 from GP.

Seems to me wrong they can base a decision upon old medical evidence - especially when the condition has worsened since 2008.

Unlike IB which to an extent took account of your conditions, ESA does not, so it would be perfectly possible for your condition to have worsened while you received IB and to be found Fit for Work under ESA.

Did you supply any evidence that supported your statement that your condition had worsened?

Which ESA Descriptors do you feel you met and specifically which do you think you qualify for the Support Group under?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• simtrav
  • Topic Author
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110726 by simtrav
Replied by simtrav on topic Appeal Confusion - Help Please
Thanks for reply bro.

I have got to look into your links to refresh my understanding.

In the meantime, Tribunal have now replied giving me 14 days to confirm if I want to continue with appeal and that it will take 17 to 21 weeks to give me a date.

It seems to me to be quite wrong if the DWP does not say on what grounds they have made their decision so that a respondent has time to get further evidence to challenge that decision.

The only way to find out about their decision is to appeal it and then when you get the reason - thay pass the matter to the Tribunal before the respondent has reasonable time to get further evidence.

I have now got a consultants report that confirms one of my conditions. Unfortunately the second consultants report has got "lost/delayed" in an IT glitch at the privately run clinic that took over from the NHS clinic.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.