× Members

ESA Renewal

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110779 by Twinkle
ESA Renewal was created by Twinkle
Hi

With the help of this fantastic site I was placed in the Support Group 2 years ago, (I did have to have a medical though). So the 2 years are up and that dreaded brown envelope has dropped onto my mat again!!

My longstanding conditions remain the same with no improvement or deterioration, I have suffered with these for more than 15 years - there are no treatments, so therefore my capabilities remain the same.

I have requested an ESA85 from the DWP as I am unaware as to what descriptors I was awarded points for.
I have read that you should treat each ESA50 as the 1st one but would there be any merit in sending in a copy of my 1st one (to accompany this ESA50) as I have read that ATOS do not have this in their possesion when carrying out a re-assesment.

I will approach my GP for a letter, but what sort of terminology should he use in order to satisfy ATOS - as my condition remains the same.

I am very aware that I have less supporting evidence this time round as I have no treatments ongoing, so the GP's letter needs to convey this to ATOS. When I completed my 1st ESA50 there were a few treatments that I was trying but these were fruitless, this is why I thought that a copy of the 1st ESA50 would be helpfull so that they can see that I have tried treatments - but to no avail!

Apologies for the long post!!

Kind regards
Twinkle
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110784 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA Renewal

Twinkle wrote: Hi

With the help of this fantastic site I was placed in the Support Group 2 years ago, (I did have to have a medical though). So the 2 years are up and that dreaded brown envelope has dropped onto my mat again!!

My longstanding conditions remain the same with no improvement or deterioration, I have suffered with these for more than 15 years - there are no treatments, so therefore my capabilities remain the same.

I have requested an ESA85 from the DWP as I am unaware as to what descriptors I was awarded points for.
I have read that you should treat each ESA50 as the 1st one but would there be any merit in sending in a copy of my 1st one (to accompany this ESA50) as I have read that ATOS do not have this in their possesion when carrying out a re-assesment.

I will approach my GP for a letter, but what sort of terminology should he use in order to satisfy ATOS - as my condition remains the same.

I am very aware that I have less supporting evidence this time round as I have no treatments ongoing, so the GP's letter needs to convey this to ATOS. When I completed my 1st ESA50 there were a few treatments that I was trying but these were fruitless, this is why I thought that a copy of the 1st ESA50 would be helpfull so that they can see that I have tried treatments - but to no avail!

Apologies for the long post!!

Kind regards
Twinkle

Hi T,

You are correct in that you should treat this ESA50 as if it was your first, and not assume that ATOS/DWP will have access to any previous details/evidence.

It would help if you knew how and why you qualified for The SG last time.

However, as it now circa 2 years since your last ESA85 was produced, it may not be available, as the DWP do have a policy of destroying certain documentation after 14 months.

The important issue is to show that your limitations have not diminished, due to new medication or operative procedures, and that you have not adapted or have learned to cope better with said limitations.

Again though, as before, you will have to show that you still qualify for The SG by fulfilling at least one of the :

SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors

And/or, The Exceptional Circumstances Rules under :

ESA Reg 35 for entry to The SG (LCWRA)

You could include the previous ESA50, or extracts, and refer to them.

I would shy clear of simply referring to the old ESA50 repeatedly though, don't forget that the ESA50 has changed, post 28/01/13, so has the wording on some of the descriptors.

As it seems from your other post that you are using the Pdf ESA50, there is a download link to it on this FAQ :

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

You should fill this in while referring to the guides under the heading of "New ESA50 form"

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

It would help, if your G.P. can draw reference to the particular descriptors that they feel apply to your limitations, and add further comment with regards to your current conditions, and how they have not improved, if that is the case.

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
10 years 7 months ago #110787 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA Renewal
Hi T,

Sorry about the format errors in my original response !!

That will teach me to compile a post out of sequence !!! :laugh: :laugh:

It is now correct.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.