× Members

Need to Claim Income Support Top-Up but Fearful

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111640 by Asbo
Hi

I was put in the Support Group in April and I have been told I can claim Income Support top-up but I am worried that getting in touch with the DWP about it will draw attention to my claim. I am fearful of them sending me out another ESA50 though maybe it is Atos who decide when to send them out again. If I knew that it wouldn't trigger another ESA50 then I would feel better about contacting them as I am owed all this back payment and also it would help with housing benefit and council tax benefit etc.

Thanks
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111642 by Gordon

Asbo wrote: Hi

I was put in the Support Group in April and I have been told I can claim Income Support top-up but I am worried that getting in touch with the DWP about it will draw attention to my claim. I am fearful of them sending me out another ESA50 though maybe it is Atos who decide when to send them out again. If I knew that it wouldn't trigger another ESA50 then I would feel better about contacting them as I am owed all this back payment and also it would help with housing benefit and council tax benefit etc.

Thanks

There are no 100% guarantees in regard to benefits but there is no reason for an ESA Assessment to be triggered by a claimant completing an ESA3 form for an Income Related ESA top-up to their ESA(CB).

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

• bro58
10 years 6 months ago #111647 by bro58
Hi A,

As Gordon has pointed out, you would need to be assessed financially to see whether you were entitled to IR ESA top-ups.

Income Support (IS) is not paid as a top-up to ESA, as it used to be with IB.

As far as ESA is concerned IS is not applicable.

e.g. A claimant prior to conversion to ESA who was paid IB with an IS top-up, would receive CB ESA with IR ESA top-up if their circumstances had not changed, and they were entitled to ESA.

What will I be transferred to?

bro58

More
10 years 6 months ago #111649 by Asbo
Thanks Gordon.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111651 by Asbo
I think I was entitled to IS before being migrated to ESA but never bothered because the amount was so small but now I am advised that the ESA Support group rate is approx £119 per week and so that is about £12 per week I am missing out on, not to mention the automatic passporting with HB and Council Tax Benefit and not having to fill in HC! certificate every year for health costs.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
10 years 6 months ago #111655 by bro58

Asbo wrote: I think I was entitled to IS before being migrated to ESA but never bothered because the amount was so small but now I am advised that the ESA Support group rate is approx £119 per week and so that is about £12 per week I am missing out on, not to mention the automatic passporting with HB and Council Tax Benefit and not having to fill in HC! certificate every year for health costs.

Yes A,

It may have well been worthwhile claiming any IS top-ups to your IB, as even if you were only entitled to and paid a few pence in IS top-ups, this would passport you to full applicable HB entitlement, CTB, free dental care, eye tests and prescriptions.

The same applies to IR ESA top-ups, even if they are only for a few pence.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.