× Members

DLA

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111646 by Mel B
DLA was created by Mel B
Hi Guys

Just had a look at Tracy's posting concerning her fears of having awards removed.

This has hppened to me in my other posts and this procedure seems wrong that the DM can look at the whole claim again and remove awards even if the circumstances have not changed.

The whole process looks like a threat which is there to prevent reconsiderations and appeals.
Would you agree??

As i mentioned before the Social Security Act 1998 Part 1 Sections 8 - 12 under Decisions by an Adjudiction Officer.

Revisions of Decisions.

9 (2) states :

In making a decision an adjudication officer Need Not Consider ANY issue that is not raised by the application . Or as the case may be , did not cause him to act on his own initiative.

The first part of this act reads to me as if an award, say day care is awarded and ( is not an issue therefor not raised by the application) the adjudicator cannot visit that award and cannot remove or reduce it !

The act is quite clear on this subject so why has this act not been used to prevent this un-natual justice.

Although this happens ! it does not make it right and if they are ignoring the law in this act : fight them with it use it against them. There are similar controls for appeal courts under these regulations.

In the act 10 (1) Decisions superseding earlier decisions

It states: may be superseded by a decision made by an adjudication officer , either on an application
made for the purpose or his own initiative.

Which again allows only on an application OR his own purpose / initiative.

If the application of day care is an issue or any other award then he could remove the award or reduce it but has to be raised as an issue.

This is a bit heavy to get the mind around but reading it is a must to see what I mean and I wonder if nobody has discovered this section and tested it.

Cheers

Mel b
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #111657 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA
Mel

I can only repeat what I have said in previous posts, you are misinterpreting the legislation, you cannot take these paragraphs out of context to the ones before and after.

In your reference to 9.2 specifically, "need not" does not mean "can not". If for example a claimant was receiving both DLA Care and Mobility and reported a change in the care needs, then it is perfectly reasonable and acceptable for the Decision Maker to not review the current Mobility element providing that nothing in their stated Care needs suggests otherwise, but to suggest that a Decision Maker cannot look at the full Care award when the claimant reports a change in their care needs, I am afraid makes no sense, and more importantly is not what the legislation states.

Your efforts would be far better spent showing that the Decision is unreasonable based on your care and mobility requirements, than arguing that it was unlawful.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mel B

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111697 by Mel B
Replied by Mel B on topic DLA MEDICAL REPORT UNREADABLE
Hello

I have read that if a report is illegible you can ask for a typed version. I need to read this report as I am awaitng the appeal date which will be within the next few weeks

So I did just that and the dept refused !!

They said and I quote : IF THE CONTENT OF THE REPORT HAS BEEN MIS-READ IN ANY WAY BY THE DEPARTMENT, THE DEPARTMENTS INTERPRETATION OF THE REPORT WOULD BE CARRIED THROUGH TO THE TYPED COPY. THIS COULD THEREFORE RENDER THE INFORMATION IN THE TYPED COPY ERROENOUS AND WOULD NOT BE REPRESENTIVE OF THE ACTUAL INFORMATION THAT THE DEPARTMENT IS PROVIDING THE APPEAL TRIBUNAL.

They have said if you want it typed get in touch with the doctor and ask if he charges we will not be liable for the cost.
I thought they had to supply it typed if illegible?

Any comments please. :)
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 6 months ago #111701 by Gordon
Mel

Try contacting the Tribunal Service and explain that the DWP have provided evidence that you cannot read and therefore cannot challenge as to it validity, you can talk about it being against Natural Justice if you cannot understand what the DWP are presenting.

If you can't read it then it is likely that the panel will not be able to either, so there is an opportunity for it, or at least the sections affected, to be discounted.

Remember your case will be won by you showing you meet the criteria for the DLA levels you believe you should have, so make this your priority.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111708 by Mel B
Replied by Mel B on topic DLA
Hi Gordon

Magic thanks for that.

Do you think they could set it aside or would it be a 50/50 chance. Or more in favor towards my appeal if our evidence is solid ?

Many thanks

Mel b

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111709 by Gordon

Mel B wrote: Hi Gordon

Magic thanks for that.

Do you think they could set it aside or would it be a 50/50 chance. Or more in favor towards my appeal if our evidence is solid ?

Many thanks

Mel b

There is no way to know how a Tribunal will vote on the day, a well presented case supported by evidence is much more likely to be successful than a hastily put together one.

Include a short one or two page summary at the front, and an index to all of the contents, try and keep things in sections so that they are easy to find, make your points quickly and then fill in the extra detail in the following paragraphs.

Good luck

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mel B

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.