× Members

Will tribunal already have DWP's statements. CD?

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #111699 by cemac
Appealing against IB stopped, nil points. 14 months to retirement.
I had the interview recorded, shows how assessor extrapolated from evidence -eg walk 20 metres so can walk 200metres, plus length of interview was shorter (1 hour 40 minutes) than she claimed. I have a letter from my GP and hope to have blood test results to show the arthritic condition has got worse.
But I have 43 pages of transcription, took months to do as I struggle to do much at any time. Also 9 pages of notes.
I took advice, very helpful but I am a bit concerned as it was to only send about a page of A4. Will the Tribunal have the ESA50 and the statements from DWP? I would like to refer to some of it as much including a letter I took to the interview as my condition has deteriorated, was ignored.
I sounded very confused on the recording - ME/CFS meant I arrived exhausted, and am not sure how well I will be able to explain anything.
At the same time I don't want to send things which may be ignored due to time constraints,, or bore them to tears! Plus postage is not cheap!
Which is best, more or less?
Thanks for all your advice
Cemac
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #111702 by slugsta
At some stage you will hear from the Tribunal Service and they will send you the 'bundle'. This will be a copy of all the paperwork associated with your claim. Your ESA50 will be in this bundle, as will all the supporting evidence that you submitted. The Tribunal Service will have an exact copy of this bundle, as will DWP.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #111710 by bro58
Hi c,

Any evidence that you send to the tribunal will be copied to the DWP, likewise any evidence provided by the DWP will be copied to you.

The objective of this is that The TS, The DWP and yourself all have access to the same evidence.

With regards to your evidence/arguments, obviously keep it to a minimum, whilst not omitting important evidence

It is good practice to create it like a file, numbering pages and paragraphs so that you can refer to them easily, and more importantly the Tribunal can refer to them, just as easily.

You can even provide an index at the front.

You can then write up a 1 or 2 page submission, try and keep this to bullet points, citing which legislation/arguments you are relying on, and referring to any extracts/ pages/ paras from your main bundle.

The easier that you can make it for the tribunal to understand your grounds for appeal, the better.

You should shy away from providing too much fresh evidence on the day of the hearing. A few pages may be acceptable, however if you turn up with many pages of fresh evidence, it may be classed as inadmissible, or it could result in an adjournment.

Although the Pdf's below are intended to guide representatives, you may find Judge Boyd's comments helpful :

Advice for Tribunal Reps

Advice for Tribunal Reps

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #111716 by bro58
Hi c,

Remember, as you are a lay person representing yourself, the Tribunal's expectations of your presentation/evidence will be much lower than they would be for a trained Rep or WRO/WRA.

It will be quite an informal affair, with a two member panel :

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and reconsiderations

MOJ Video of ESA Appeals Process and Tribunal

bro58

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #111717 by cemac
Thanks Mrs Hurtyback and Bro,
I was not sure what to do as I wanted to refer to the DWP paperwork. Your replies have made it a lot clearer now I know what I need to send and what will be there already.
I don't want to carry anything extra on the day, getting there will be quite enough effort.
Thank you for all your help, B&W has a calming effect when I know I'm not alone.
Cemac

• bro58
10 years 7 months ago #111719 by bro58

cemac wrote: Thanks Mrs Hurtyback and Bro,
I was not sure what to do as I wanted to refer to the DWP paperwork. Your replies have made it a lot clearer now I know what I need to send and what will be there already.
I don't want to carry anything extra on the day, getting there will be quite enough effort.
Thank you for all your help, B&W has a calming effect when I know I'm not alone.
Cemac

Yes c,

You can refer to any extracts from the DWP's evidence pack/bundle, as well as your own file/bundle.

Please keep us updated, and good luck !!! :)

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.