× Members

Customer Compliance Interview

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #111785 by mariaz18
Customer Compliance Interview was created by mariaz18
Hello,

My dad has received a letter from DWP to attend a Customer Compliance Interview.

Here's the story - My father couldn't work any longer and gave up work after 45 years in the same factory. He applied for ESA in March & was put in the Support Group. I moved in to my father's home to look after him and take over the bills which are over £1000 a month. He cannot pay for this with the amount of ESA he gets. I pay in £700 to his bank account every month so the bills are paid on time by direct debit. He has no other income, no pension or saving.
DWP are asking for bank statements to be provided at the interview - my question is will they see this £700 going into my fathers account as income?
Any help appreciated.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #111789 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Customer Compliance Interview
Maria

Get face to face advice from a trained advisor if you can.

Where to get advice?

The DWP will certainly query the payments, especially if they are regular, and it is possible that they will treat them as income and if they do, it could result in a significant overpayment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mariaz18

• Peter
10 years 7 months ago #111803 by Peter
Replied by Peter on topic Customer Compliance Interview
hi I would make sure you get your bank statements to prove the money put into your fathers account was your money. explain it was to stop him getting into arrears which would make his health worse. when things improve your dad will pay you back. kind regards peter

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 7 months ago #111805 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Customer Compliance Interview

I pay in £700 to his bank account every month so the bills are paid on time by direct debit. He has no other income, no pension or savings.

DWP are asking for bank statements to be provided at the interview - my question is will they see this £700 going into my fathers account as income?

In my opinion, what you pay into your father's account shouldn't be classed as 'earned income'. However, my DWP contact is on leave this week and I cannot find a definitive link on the DWP site.

I will speak to my DWP contact on Monday next 14 October on their return from leave.

However, hopefully one of our other moderators will be able to research this and provide a more definitive answer.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: mariaz18

More
10 years 7 months ago #111809 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Customer Compliance Interview
As I understand it, even regular gifts from family should not be treated as income. However, I can understand how/why the query arose as a regular amount such as this is easily confused with a wage (for instance). Your father will need to show that this money comes from you and is not payment for 'services rendered'.

Please note that this is my understanding from participating in other fora, I do not have the legislation to back this up.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law), mariaz18

• bro58
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #111815 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Customer Compliance Interview

Mrs Hurtyback wrote: As I understand it, even regular gifts from family should not be treated as income. However, I can understand how/why the query arose as a regular amount such as this is easily confused with a wage (for instance). Your father will need to show that this money comes from you and is not payment for 'services rendered'.

Please note that this is my understanding from participating in other fora, I do not have the legislation to back this up.

Hi MHB,

There is a scenario where "gifts" even if regular are not classed as income.

However, the monies in the OP's scenario may be classed as "household income" as it seems that they have moved in with their father.

Income, capital and assets are a complicated issue.

As seen in Chapter 48 :

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch48.pdf

&

Chapter 51 : www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch51.pdf :

Here

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.