× Members

ESA and going to work ?

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111996 by DollyDayDream
ESA and going to work ? was created by DollyDayDream
Hi
My wife receives ib ESA and is in support group I am on her claim as I am currently unemployed but I have just had a job offer on a trial basis . We will have to inform ESA about this change so they will stop her money the problem is the company pays at the end of the month so we will have no money for a couple of weeks also if I don't keep the job how long or if at all do we have to get back ESA and get paid again from them . I know we could start the whole process again but it's took three years and two appeals to get this far. Now I've been offered a job trial I don't know what to do . Also do you know if pip is effected by income or does the pip payment effect tax credits as we are still waiting for my wife's claim to be looked at?

Thank you
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by . Reason: Tick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #111999 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and going to work ?

DollyDayDream wrote: Hi
My wife receives ib ESA and is in support group I am on her claim as I am currently unemployed but I have just had a job offer on a trial basis . We will have to inform ESA about this change so they will stop her money the problem is the company pays at the end of the month so we will have no money for a couple of weeks also if I don't keep the job how long or if at all do we have to get back ESA and get paid again from them . I know we could start the whole process again but it's took three years and two appeals to get this far. Now I've been offered a job trial I don't know what to do . Also do you know if pip is effected by income or does the pip payment effect tax credits as we are still waiting for my wife's claim to be looked at?

Thank you

We are limited in the advice we can give in regard to members financial situation due to not being aware of the full facts of the matter, but I will help where I can.

Is your wife only receiving Income Related ESA or is part of her payment Contribution Based?

If she only receives ESA(IR) then there are two factors which will affect whether she continues to receive payments, if you are working 24 hours or more then her payments will stop, if you are working less then24 hours, then your pay will be deducted £ for £ from her payments until they are fully eroded.

If she receives ESA(CB) with an ESA(IR) top up then the above applies to the ESA(IR) element, but the ESA(CB) payment would not be affected and will remain in payment.

PIP is not means tested so it will not be affected by your working and has no affect on Tax Credits.

I am not sure how your stopping work would affect your wife's claim, should it happen, I would expect that she can make a linked claim if it occurs within 12 weeks of her current claim stopping, but if it is longer than that then it may require a new claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112003 by DollyDayDream
Replied by DollyDayDream on topic ESA and going to work ?
Thank you Gordon

My wife's claim is ib ESA only and I would be working over 24 hrs so the payments would stop. You say she has 12 weeks to be able to restart the claim from where she left off minus the weeks I worked of course ?

Is there any help out there to fill the gap from benefits stopping to getting 1st wage packet?

Thanks again
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112006 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and going to work ?

DollyDayDream wrote: Thank you Gordon

My wife's claim is ib ESA only and I would be working over 24 hrs so the payments would stop. You say she has 12 weeks to be able to restart the claim from where she left off minus the weeks I worked of course ?

Is there any help out there to fill the gap from benefits stopping to getting 1st wage packet?

Thanks again

As I understand it, where there was; it was only the claimant that could make use of the grants, but they have apparently been stopped now anyway.

ESA is paid two weeks in arrears so you should receive at least one payment from the time that you notify them that you are working.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.