× Members

DLA and being in hospital?

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112065 by Mary
DLA and being in hospital? was created by Mary
Do you need to inform DWP if you are on DLA and go into hospital for 2 weeks? My husband is having major panic attacks at the moment as he has an indefinite award for DLA and believed that if you were in hospital for more than 4 weeks then you notify them. He was in hospital in 2009 for 2 weeks and didn't tell them.
Can anyone advise please.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112068 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA and being in hospital?

Mary wrote: Do you need to inform DWP if you are on DLA and go into hospital for 2 weeks? My husband is having major panic attacks at the moment as he has an indefinite award for DLA and believed that if you were in hospital for more than 4 weeks then you notify them. He was in hospital in 2009 for 2 weeks and didn't tell them.
Can anyone advise please.

You are required to tell them of any overnight (e.g. in-patient) stay in hospital.

DLA payments will be suspended after 28 days in hospital or a total of 28 days where the periods are separated by less than 28 days, the day you enter hospital and the day you leave do not count towards the total.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mary

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112070 by Mary
Replied by Mary on topic DLA and being in hospital?
Would you advise him to ring them now to tell them he spent 2 weeks in hospital in 2009?

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112073 by Gordon

Mary wrote: Would you advise him to ring them now to tell them he spent 2 weeks in hospital in 2009?

I cannot advise you to ignore the requirements of the benefit he is receiving, but a two week period, not within 28 days of any other period in hospital would not have resulted in his DLA being suspended.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112075 by Mary
Replied by Mary on topic DLA and being in hospital?

Gordon wrote:

Mary wrote: Would you advise him to ring them now to tell them he spent 2 weeks in hospital in 2009?

I cannot advise you to ignore the requirements of the benefit he is receiving, but a two week period, not within 28 days of any other period in hospital would not have resulted in his DLA being suspended.

Gordon

Thank you Gordon

I appreciate you cannot advise him to ignore the requirements, apologies if it sounded like I was asking you to do this.

We understand that his hospital stay would not have resulted in his award being suspended, but it is worrying him that he never informed them and the implications of this when it comes to being migrated to PIP, ie will they accuse him of not declaring something which he should have done. I am just concerned that ringing them now may make matters worse!

More
10 years 6 months ago #112076 by Gordon

Mary wrote: Thank you Gordon

I appreciate you cannot advise him to ignore the requirements, apologies if it sounded like I was asking you to do this.

We understand that his hospital stay would not have resulted in his award being suspended, but it is worrying him that he never informed them and the implications of this when it comes to being migrated to PIP, ie will they accuse him of not declaring something which he should have done. I am just concerned that ringing them now may make matters worse!

I think you may have taken my post literally rather than the spirit of what I was saying, I cannot see why there would be any action by the DWP even if you did report it.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.