× Members

ESA AND HOUSING BENEFIT REVIEW AT MY HOME

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112237 by lexus
I'm in the Support Group of ESA and I've received a letter from the DWP today giving me details of their intended visit to review my ESA and housing benefit claim; under the guise of "to ensure I'm receiving the correct amount of benefits you are(i.e.I am)entitled to".

It turned out the "visitor" attempted to visit me on two consecutive days last week, but I wasn't at home; would that count against me?

I'd just like to know what to expect from the visit. For example what sort of questions would the "visitor" ask me? Would she ask to see my bedroom, lavatory, bathroom, kitchen, the other bedrooms (basically my entire house)etc. my prescribed medication, questions about my day-to-day life etc.

Please help, because I'm so stressed out about the impending visit that I haven't eaten all day. I'm not scared because I have nothing to hide, but based on my experience with an Atos doctor, who made-up lies about how I behaved at my medical, I'm worried that she might make-up things about me.

For instance my living room is full of decent quality and classic furniture, which I bought a long time ago, when I was working(I was a full-time secondary school teacher) before my disabilities became too debilitating for me to continue working. Would she assume that I don't need my benefits anymore or worse I spend my ESA buying decent things for my home(as if we get enough money on ESA!).

My apologies for the length of this message, but to borrow a street slang, I'm literally freaking out.

Many thanks
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112242 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA AND HOUSING BENEFIT REVIEW AT MY HOME
lexus

These visits seem to fall into two categories, it is a genuine attempt by the DWP to be helpful, I know it sounds unlikely, but it does happen, alternatively, there is a concern about your claim.

Unfortunately there is no way to know what the DWP want until they arrive, it may be worth having your bank statements easily accessible and make sure you have some identification available.

Those members who have has one of these visits have reported them to be a bit of a non-event as like you, they had nothing to hide.

There is no reason for them to want to see any other part of your home and they should not draw any conclusions just because you were able to afford good furniture when you worked.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.