× Members

Totally confused ESA and PIP

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112253 by swooosh
Totally confused ESA and PIP was created by swooosh
Hi all, new to the site and looking for a bit of advice. I apologise if I ramble on a bit :unsure:

Basically, my wife suffers from mental health problems, namely Borderline Personality Disorder, Depression, Social Phobia and also has Anger/Temper issues.

Until recently she was a carer for both her parents due to their physicl disabilities, therefore didn't claim anything for herself as she was at her parents house most of the time (considered a 'safe zone' for my wife with her mental health problems).

Unfortunately both her parents died within 5 days of each other (obviously making her depression and other mental health problems even worse).

We have received a letter from the DWP advising that she must now claim JSA, however obviously she isn't fit for work due to her mental health, and she relies on me for almost everything.

We do not know what to do, have been advised to claim for PIP but do we also claim for ESA too? The local mental health team haven't been much help and having looked around the web I cannot find any advice on what to claim first, second or next?

It is a big worry as our Income Support is due to stop on the 28th of this month and we still have no idea where to go from here

Any advice would be appreciated and if I've missed anything please ask and I'll do my best to answer

many thanks

David
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112260 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Totally confused ESA and PIP
Hi swoosh,

I am sorry to hear about everything your wife has been through recently. I'm not surprised that her mental health has suffered as a result!

ESA is an 'out of work' benefit, taking the place of IB. If your wife is unable to work due to her ill health then this is the appropriate benefit to claim - as long as you feel she meets the descriptors

Qualifying for the WRAG

Qualifying for the Support Group

If your wife does not have the necessary NI contributions from recent employment to qualify for contributary ESA, it sounds as if she would be entitled to income-related ESA (I say this as you are currently on IS).

Initial application is very straightforward and the basic 'assessment rate' will be apid. At some stage an ESA50 from will be sent out and there is a strict 4 week limit for this to be completed and returned. You can get ahead of the game by downloading the PDF version of this form and starting to fill it in. You can also start to collect any supporting evidence to back up your claim.

PIP is taking the place of DLA and can be paid to people who have significant care and mobility needs, whether or not they are in work. The government are very keen for people to make the initial application on-line.

Latest information on PIP

Our ESA FAQs are here, it would be worth having a browse

ESA FAQs

When the time comes, make full use of our guides

ESA claims and appeals

PIP

I suggest that you bookmark this page, or make it a favourite on your web browser, so that you can find it easily in future. Then you can come back here to refresh your memory and to ask any further questions - it does help us if everything is in one place.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 6 months ago #112286 by swooosh
Replied by swooosh on topic Totally confused ESA and PIP
Thanks for the reply Mrs Hurtyback.

Quick question, am I allowed to make the initial phone calls for both PIP & ESA on behalf of my wife as she doesn't use the phone and the number of questions would be confusing nd difficult for her?

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112290 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Totally confused ESA and PIP
To be honest, I am not entirely sure.

edit - sorry, that is not terribly helpful! I am hoping that another mod will have a look and comment.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.