× Members

ESA and WFI

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112268 by Spridgett
ESA and WFI was created by Spridgett
Good afternoon,

I am seeking your expert clarification, please, on the following:-

in a letter dated 4th October, 2012, the DWP informed me that I had been deemed fit for work, following my unsuccessful transfer from IB to ESA and that my IB payments would cease as from the 22nd October, 2012. I decided to appeal this decision and have been receiving EESA since then. My appeal was forwarded to the Tribunals Service, as the reconsideration failed to overturn the decision, and two submissions were subsequently sent on my behalf to the court. I have today received my final payment of contribution based ESA and will not be entitled to any IR benefit. Also today, I have received a letter from Jobcentre Plus with an appointment to attend a WFI on the 6th November, 2013! For the sake of the relative brevity of this message, I suspect that the DWP have rolled over and awarded me WRAG status, which has yet to be conveyed to me! If that is the case, I will make a further decision as to whether to appeal this award when I have more information to hand. However, if I remain in the WRAG, as my entitlement to CB ESA ends tomorrow, and I will only be in receipt of NI credits from now on, am I obliged to attend the aforementioned WFI on the 6th November, 2013? If I subsequently decide to appeal, with the worst case scenario that I could again be found fit for work, what would happen to the back monies owed to me for the last year in the WRAG? Would I be expected to repay this sum? To complicate matters still further, if the original ATOS prognosis of three months were to again be accepted by the DWP, I am likely to receive a new ESA50 any day now, possibly even before they send me the decision letter regarding my current appeal!!! What a shambles!!! However, I am hoping you can give me your initial thoughts with regard to the WFI attendance question and also the safety of the back payments in the event of a subsequent failed appeal of this new decision.

Thank you for all the invaluable assistance you provide on this site.

Spridgett
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112272 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and WFI
Spridgett

While you are appealing a Fit for Work Decision you are not required to participate in Work Related Activity.

If your ESA(CB) has been time limited and are only receiving NI Credits as you do not qualify for ESA(IR) then you are not required to participate in WRA.

With regard to your specific circumstances, you would only be required to perform WRA if your were in the WRAG and receiving ESA(IR), so I would suggest you contact the JC+ advisor or office and ask what is going on. :)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spridgett

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112278 by Spridgett
Replied by Spridgett on topic ESA and WFI
Thank you for your response, Gordon. Your clarification with regard to the WFI interview situation is much appreciated.

However, I am still in the dark with regard to the "safety" of the back monies due to be paid to me for my last year in the WRAG. If I was to appeal this WRAG decision, to try to secure my placement in the Support Group but, in the worst case scenario was instead found fit for work, would I be required to repay the WRAG monies paid to me as a result of the remaking of the original decision from October, 2012?

Thanks again for your clarification of the above.

Spridgett
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112280 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and WFI

Spridgett wrote: Thank you for your response, Gordon. Your clarification with regard to the WFI interview situation is much appreciated.

However, I am still in the dark with regard to the "safety" of the back monies due to be paid to me for my last year in the WRAG. If I was to appeal this WRAG decision, to try to secure my placement in the Support Group but, in the worst case scenario was instead found fit for work, would I be required to repay the WRAG monies paid to me as a result of the remaking of the original decision from October, 2012?

Thanks again for your clarification of the above.

Spridgett

Sorry, I missed your second question.

No, you would not be required to repay any of the money.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spridgett

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.