× Members

ESA Tribunal

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112320 by Spinninglizzy
ESA Tribunal was created by Spinninglizzy
My appeal failed and the decision of Atos was upheld. One member of the panel was a (retired) orthopaedic surgeon and he blew me out of the water with all of my spinal, hand and arm complaints. His dislike of fat people was quite obvious at the hearing and even more so with the tone of his report!! However, I am made of strong stuff and can ignore that!! The point I would like to bring up is the recommendation for the use of a self propelled wheelchair. The Atos person recomended this in her report to DWP, however This was not mentioned during the hearing and yet his recommendation is that I can use one. No questions were asked as to whether or not I could use this chair. Such chair, if it were prescribed by another professional, would be in the region of 32 inches wide in order to accomodate me and the weight of the chair would be around 25kg. The chair would not fit through a door without me having to get out of it, fold it up, push it through the door and unfold it and get back in again. It would cause considerable difficulty actually getting it in and out of the house because of its size and for me to lift it in and out of a car would be impossible. Is this grounds for an appeal to the Upper Tribunal?
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112323 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Tribunal
Spinninglizzy

The first thing you should do is request a written Statement of Reasons as you cannot proceed to an appeal without doing this.

Tribunals – Requesting a Statement of Reasons

You will then need to show that there has been an Error of Law

What is an Error of Law?

There will be two elements that you need to consider, did the Tribunal agree that you could not walk 50m or could not do so repeatedly. If they did not, then unless you can find an Error of Law related to this, then there may be no realistic opportunity to win a new appeal, as you would still fail the test due to this, although, this does not prevent you continuing.

Secondly you need to show that there was an Error of Law in regard the use of a wheelchair, I will try and find the Case Law that relates to this, but you need to be aware that the Error was in a previous Tribunal not asking questions about the ability of the claimant to use a wheelchair, not that they could not do so, also this case was sent back to the Lower tier for a new hearing to be held, we do not know what the result of this was.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112330 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA Tribunal

Gordon wrote: Spinninglizzy

The first thing you should do is request a written Statement of Reasons as you cannot proceed to an appeal without doing this.

Tribunals – Requesting a Statement of Reasons

You will then need to show that there has been an Error of Law

What is an Error of Law?

There will be two elements that you need to consider, did the Tribunal agree that you could not walk 50m or could not do so repeatedly. If they did not, then unless you can find an Error of Law related to this, then there may be no realistic opportunity to win a new appeal, as you would still fail the test due to this, although, this does not prevent you continuing.

Secondly you need to show that there was an Error of Law in regard the use of a wheelchair, I will try and find the Case Law that relates to this, but you need to be aware that the Error was in a previous Tribunal not asking questions about the ability of the claimant to use a wheelchair, not that they could not do so, also this case was sent back to the Lower tier for a new hearing to be held, we do not know what the result of this was.

Gordon

Hi G,

Is the case law that you are referring to here ? :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...id=10&id=87202#87202

It must be deemed as "reasonable" for the appellant to use a manual wheelchair.

This information may also be of further help to the OP :

Appealing to The Upper Tier, DR UK Factsheet

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by bro58.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112333 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Tribunal
Thanks Bro

It was UT Ruling CSE/151/2012

Although I believe there has subsequently been a couple of other rulings that have undermined this one.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.