× Members

Housing Benefit included in ESA Sanctions?

• James
  • Topic Author
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112419 by James
Its probably incorrect but yesterday evening there was a big London Radio Phone In as usual
on the subject of Benefits and Work.
A caller who stated they were actually under Sanction for 4 weeks claimed that in addition to their JSA/ESA being sanctioned the sanction also spilled over to their linked Housing benefit being affected too.
It wasnt clear if they were meaning that the reduction in JSA/ESA meant just that they had to financially' dip into 'their Housing benefit or whether they meant that Sanctions mean Housing Benefit is also affected,ie,temporaily reduced or stopped?
If so I find this quite alarming as its not something Id heard of before-Id been under the impression that Sanctions as a result of non compliance with the Work programme only affected DWP benefit?
I understand that if DWP benefit stopped all together equalling zero income then there might be an issue with HB but not if its just Sanctioned with a 60%personal component reduction
thereby leaving some income for The HB Dept to calculate.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112422 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Housing Benefit included in ESA Sanctions?
Hi James,

I believe that DWP notify the HB people when any claim has been stopped or sanctioned. HB stops payment because they do not know why the claim has ended and do not want to risk an overpayment that they could struggle to get back. After all, the claimant might have got a job paying £1000000 pa!

The claimant needs to contact HB and ask to claim on the grounds of zero/low income and payments should resume. However, many people don't know this, panic when the money does not arrive and assume that the HB has finished too.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• James
  • Topic Author
10 years 5 months ago #112635 by James
Replied by James on topic Housing Benefit included in ESA Sanctions?
Thank You Mrs.Hurtyback.That would explain a lot.Its a requirement anyhow I would have thought for HB Claimants to let The HB Dept.know if they were Sanctioned even though The HB Dept get notified by The DWP as well.
There is a fine distinction between Claim Closed and Sanctions Applied.
One is complete cessation of income(zero income)the other is reduced income(60%).
I would have thought maybe the HB Dept.could work with reduced income merely recalculating the appropriate HB amount on the basis of the reduced income,its possible though they dont know the new amount but are simply told by The DWP "Sanctions have been imposed".
If so I would not be surprised if they freeze an HB claim until the HB Claimant comes in and supplies them with exact new Sanctioned Income details as you say.
HB Depts seem to be able to stop,start and freeze claims quite quickly at the touch of buttons unlike DWP ones.
There was another big radio phone in debate last night on Londons LBC on the subject of
Incapacity Claims.It was said that 2 in 3 recent claims were unsuccessful I couldnt make head or tail of the Evening Standards quoted figures though.
The announcer implied a third were "trying it on" and this "proved it".
Stephen Pound MP gave a very robust defence of the more mentally challenged
being able "to lift and carry"but still mentally unfit for work.
As usual ATOS was roundly condemned.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.