× Members

Support Group ?

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112520 by Mike555
Support Group ? was created by Mike555
Hi

Brief medical history.

1: Back Injury 1982 upper and middle back, ligaments torn, disks injured.
2: Sarcoidosis 1990 – 2002 Lungs, liver, eyes, brain and other parts affected.
3: Osteoarthritis 2004 hands, wrists, feet, ankles, spine and chest seem most affected.
4: Costochondritis 2002 ongoing
5: Lipomas painful 2009 (One removed at the start of 2013)
6: Pilonidal Sinus 2010 Two operations 8 months apart, have left me unable to sit or walk without being in pain.
7: Schambergs disease 2010 lower legs get painful and is made much worse if I stand still.
8: Spinal (slipped) disk stenosis and bulges 2013 have pain in my upper and middle spine, I have sudden and painful muscle spasms in the diaphragm area of my chest which made breathing very painful.

I am 58 years old.

I have been informed that the nerves that control the diaphragm are being pressed on I have now been placed on Buprenorphine patches as well as Tramadol that I was already on due to the increased chronic pain I now find myself in.

I find that due to the chronic combined pain from the above conditions I am in pain all the time. I am irritable all the time, cannot concentrate on any task, find it very difficult to make decisions. I get exhausted doing simple tasks and become confused all to easily. My memory and ability to take or give instructions is no longer reliable.

I find it difficult to sit due to the pain in the bottom of my spine following the two Pilonidal Sinus operations which also has resulted in shooting pains down the back of my legs which makes sitting painful and walking any distance painful. I cannot stand still for more than a few minutes as this results in painful lower legs due to the Schambergs disease. I fear crowds and being jostled by people as this would be painful in my chest due to the chronic Costochondritis. I cannot work with my hands above my head as my hands and arms become very painful very quickly. My wife has banned me from loading and unloading the dishwasher after dropping several dinner plates and mugs. My hands, wrists, feet, ankles and shoulders are now permanently painful and doing anything that uses them makes the pain worse. My conditions are degenerative and will only get worse over time.

I was on Incapacity benefit and was moved on to the Work Related Activity Group.

I am positive I would be a danger to myself and others in the workplace and a liability to any employer and their business. I know no employer will ever take me on.

My main question is am I in the right group or would the Support Group be more appropriate?

Thanks in advance Mike
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112528 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Support Group ?
Mike

We are really not in a position to advise members as to whether they are in the right group or not.

What you need to look at is whether you meet one or more of the criteria for the Support Group.

Qualifying for the Support Group

Of slightly lesser concern will be what you are asked to do while in the WRAG. All claimants are required to participate in Work Related Activity this includes attending Work Focussed Interviews and you may be forwarded to the Work Programme. A failure to participate can lead to your benefit being sanctioned.

Work Focussed Interviews

Work Programme

Changes to ESA Sanctions

If you want to appeal then you should have a look at our ESA Appeal Guide

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

and the following FAQs

Is there any risk to challenging a decision?

How long do I have to appeal?

How to submit an appeal

ESA medical – what forms to ask for?

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and reconsiderations

Preparing for a Tribunal

MOJ Video of ESA Appeals Process and Tribunal

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.