× Members

ESA / Income Suport

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112526 by glennamy
ESA / Income Suport was created by glennamy
Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me any advice on ESA benefit / Income Support (IS).

I was in receipt of IS when I was on Incapacity Benefit (long term) but having a very small mortgage (cica: 6,000) I was on the borderline for help with interest rate payments and I fell below by 25p the help figure payment for the month and IS was stopped.

However I now fall into help with IS again for mortgage payments (circa: 8500 now outstanding) so my question is...

Can I claim IS again, because I am now on ESA - Support group but contributions based (which replaced IB), DLA middle rate care, higher rate mobility & child tax credit. I also only pay £9 month council tax, the new minimum charge for my council which was brought in recently.

I have looked online but it seems you can only claim IS if you are on Income related ESA benefit. Another reason I ask is because the child tax credit will stop next year and I will lose free prescriptions, which at the current rate - 9 lots of medicines a month will work out very expensive. I have looked at the HC1 form and again you need ESA- income related benefit to qualify, or IS again.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112532 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA / Income Suport

Glenn wrote: Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me any advice on ESA benefit / Income Support (IS).

I was in receipt of IS when I was on Incapacity Benefit (long term) but having a very small mortgage (cica: 6,000) I was on the borderline for help with interest rate payments and I fell below by 25p the help figure payment for the month and IS was stopped.

However I now fall into help with IS again for mortgage payments (circa: 8500 now outstanding) so my question is...

Can I claim IS again, because I am now on ESA - Support group but contributions based (which replaced IB), DLA middle rate care, higher rate mobility & child tax credit. I also only pay £9 month council tax, the new minimum charge for my council which was brought in recently.

I have looked online but it seems you can only claim IS if you are on Income related ESA benefit. Another reason I ask is because the child tax credit will stop next year and I will lose free prescriptions, which at the current rate - 9 lots of medicines a month will work out very expensive. I have looked at the HC1 form and again you need ESA- income related benefit to qualify, or IS again.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Hi G,

As far as ESA is concerned, Income Related (IR) ESA has replaced Income Support (IS)

So whereas a claimant may have received Incapacity Benefit (IB) with an IS top up prior to being transferred to ESA, under the same situation, they would now receive Contribution Based (CB) ESA with an IR ESA top up. :

What will I be transferred to?

Much as with IS, being entitled to and in receipt of any amount of IR ESA, may passport you (Depending on your personal circumstances) to other "benefits" such as HB, CTB, free prescriptions/dental care, and : Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) , where applicable.

As I see that you are in The SG of ESA, you may be entitled to IR ESA paid as premiums top ups :

ESA Premiums

To establish whether you are entitled to IR ESA, as above, you would have to request an ESA 3 Financial Assessment Form from your local DWP Benefits Office, fill it in, and return it.

Here is a : Sample ESA 3 Form , to give you some idea of the questions involved. I believe that there is now a more current version.

See also :

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

&

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

After filling in and returning the requested ESA 3, you will be means tested with respect to your household income, capital, assets and savings to see whether you are entitled to any IR ESA.

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

bro58

More
10 years 5 months ago #112534 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA / Income Suport
If you are not entitled to income-related ESA, you might still be able to get help with prescriptions on the grounds of low income. It would be automatic with IR ESA, otherwise you will have to complete the HC1 form.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: glennamy

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112536 by glennamy
Replied by glennamy on topic ESA / Income Suport
Hi Bro58 & Mrs Hurtyback,

Thank you for replying and for the information you have given.

I feel more confident now in moving forward with the knowledge you have provided.

Kind Regards,

• bro58
10 years 5 months ago #112539 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA / Income Suport

Glenn wrote: Hi Bro58 & Mrs Hurtyback,

Thank you for replying and for the information you have given.

I feel more confident now in moving forward with the knowledge you have provided.

Kind Regards,

No problem G, :)

With respect to MHB's helpful additional information, more can be seen :

Here

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.