× Members

Mandatory re-considerations

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112548 by carmind
Mandatory re-considerations was created by carmind
If someone is waiting for a mandatory reconsideration decision from the DWP, claiming JSA may be difficult as they have already been declared unfit for work by a GP.
Can they claim Income Support instead?
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #112549 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Mandatory re-considerations

carmind wrote: If someone is waiting for a mandatory reconsideration decision from the DWP, claiming JSA may be difficult as they have already been declared unfit for work by a GP.
Can they claim Income Support instead?

Only if you meet the qualifying criteria for IS, unless you are pregnant, have a child under 5 or you are a carer, you are unlikely to qualify.

www.gov.uk/income-support

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: carmind

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112557 by robm
Replied by robm on topic Mandatory re-considerations
sent my esa form off 2 weeks ago i'm currently in the support group so for talking sake l was put off the support group and put in to wrag and l appealed l would still get the support group rate while the appeal was ongoing ?
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by .

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112559 by
Replied by on topic Mandatory re-considerations

robm wrote: sent my esa form off 2 weeks ago i'm currently in the support group so for talking sake l was put off the support group and put in to wrag and l appealed l would still get the support group rate while the appeal was ongoing ?

Hi rm,

No, that would not be the case, it would be much as it was before Mandatory Recons (MR), in that you would continue to receive The WRAG rate whilst appealing to gain entry to The SG :

It will only adversely affect ESA claimants who are appealing a fit for work decision, in that they would have to undergo an MR first, where they would not receive Assessment Rate ESA, as they did before.

Only once the MR has been carried out could they then appeal, and receive Assessment Rate ESA.

So while the MR is taking place they would have little choice but to claim JSA, (if they can) in order to gain any benefit income.

See this FAQ :

Will my ESA be paid while a mandatory reconsideration takes place? which is available from the bottom (2nd link) on Gordon's post from earlier today :

Here

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by .

More
10 years 5 months ago #112562 by robm
Replied by robm on topic Mandatory re-considerations
thanks for the reply l get very confused with all the new benefit changes seem to change on a weekly basis nowadays

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.