× Members

Would this scheme work for me?

• bro58
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113370 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Would this scheme work for me?

Zybyszek wrote: All I want to know is how I've managed to get EESA, as well as if or how I could claim Working Tax Credit, which my friend/volunteer next of kin claims to have done.

I have read the pages you linked to, but I still don't know the answers.

Hi Z,

As previously advised by Gordon, we do not advise on WTC, and I refer you back to his previous post :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...d=10&id=99624#112560

As ESA is an "out of work" benefit, I would be doubtful that this would be possible, also taking into account what Gordon has advised regarding Permitted Work.

If you still think that you can claim WTC whilst also in receipt of ESA, you should seek face to face advice for a definitive answer:

Where to get advice?

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113371 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Would this scheme work for me?
Hi Z,

"All I want to know is how I've managed to get EESA,"

We don't know how and why you were awarded ESA in The SG.

However, it will most certainly be either because you fulfilled at least one of the qualifying SG Functional Descriptors, as below :

SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors

Or under the Exceptional Circumstances Rules under ESA Reg 35 :

ESA Reg 35 for entry to The SG (LCWR)

PLUS Post 28/01/13 Amendment of :

(3) In regulation 35(1) (certain claimants to be treated as having limited capability for work-related activity)(6), for sub-paragraph (b) substitute—

“(b)the claimant is-

(i)receiving treatment for cancer by way of chemotherapy or radiotherapy;

(ii)likely to receive such treatment within six months after the date of the determination of capability for work-related activity; or

(iii)recovering from such treatment,

and the Secretary of State is satisfied that the claimant should be treated as having limited capability for work-related activity; or”.

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3096/regulation/4/made

There are no other reasons why you would have qualified for The SG.

You could make a written request for The ESA85/ESA85A medical report, whichever is applicable, which may give the reasons why you were placed into The SG. :

ESA medical – what forms to ask for?

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by bro58.

More
10 years 5 months ago #113372 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Would this scheme work for me?
Z

You may be able to find out more on why you were awarded ESA by requesting the documentation used in the making of the Decision, you can do this by phoning or writing to the DWP office that normally deals with your claim.

ESA medical – what forms to ask for?

In regard to the issue of Tax Credits, one fundamental difference would appear to be that your friend is not claiming ESA!

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Zybyszek
  • Topic Author
10 years 5 months ago #113648 by Zybyszek
Replied by Zybyszek on topic Would this scheme work for me?
I must point out that, my friend IS now getting EESA, although when he says he was awarded the Working Tax Credits he was getting DLA, as well as some Income Support.

I think that my friend has forgotten to tell me a vital piece of information, which I don't know if I can ever find out from him. Perhaps the only solution would be for me to persuade him to show me all the documents connected with his claim.

I think another possibility is that when he filled in the claim form for Working Tax Credits and took it to the Jobcentre, whoever dealt with it wasn't really paying attention, or was just waiting to get home ASAP, so they overlooked the part of the form where he wrote that he was "claiming Working Tax Credits based on a nil income". I think that would explain it.

I think that another strategy which would work for me is if I could become schizophrenic like my friend. Unfortunately, this may not be a good idea, because of the compulsory medication, medical appointments, etc, but perhaps I could achieve the same result with a milder form of schizophrenia. Who knows?

• Zybyszek
  • Topic Author
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #114122 by Zybyszek
Replied by Zybyszek on topic Would this scheme work for me?
I think that what I really need to know is can I at least ATTEMPT to do what my friend/volunteer next of kin has done?

What I mean is, can I go to a Jobcentre Plus, fill in a claim form for Working Tax Credits OR any other benefit, where I write that I'm involved in some work based activity? If I did this, would I get my ESA and/or Housing Benefit stopped, or not?

BTW, I notice that it says at the bottom of this topic "PUBLIC WRITE ACCESS DISABLED". I think this means that only moderators can reply. Why is this? I was hoping that I'd get a reply from someone else saying that their circumstances are similar to mine and that they've managed to claim Working Tax Credits.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #114123 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Would this scheme work for me?
Z

In principle there should be no problem with you attempting this, but you need to bear the following in mind.

The DWP need to agree that the work you are doing meets the requirements of Permitted Work, also you need to consider whether your doing this undermines your claim for ESA, whilst a claimant undertaking Permitted Work will not in itself result in a re-assessment, if the work you undertake contradicts the limitation you have stated on your ESA50 then it could.

To apply for Working Tax Credits you need to meet the eligibility criteria, whilst there are exceptions, you need to be working more than 16 hours a week. Under the Permitted Work rules you can only exceed 16 hours per week at the Lower Earning Level of £20 per week.

Tax Credits are treated as income in regard to Housing Benefit, so your HB may be reduced.

www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/payments-enti...ct-on-benefits.htm#1

If you have been able to post to this topic then there are no restrictions on it being accessed by other members, perhaps you looked at it when the forum was closed to new posts, when all of the topics will display this message.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.