× Members

ESA awarded Feb 2012 - what next

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112663 by MSHusband
ESA awarded Feb 2012 - what next was created by MSHusband
My wife moved from IB to ESA in Feb2012. We submitted a 50 page application with every point cross-referenced to a copy of a letter from a consultant. She was not called for an assessment, and placed in the support group.

Am I correct that the award is for a maximum of 2 years, and she will be "invited" to re apply in Feb 2014 ?

We are now sitting on 80 pages of letters and notes, and counting. This time they are already scanned and indexed, I have a personal goal of returning the ESA form within 48 hours.

On a related note, despite 2 recorded delivery letters, the decision maker has ignored requests under the DPA. I just got worn down :(
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #112668 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA awarded Feb 2012 - what next
I am glad to hear that your wife was placed in the ESA Support Group without a face2face assessment, thank you for letting us know.

Unlike DLA/PIP, ESA is an open-ended award. It can be reassessed at any stage from 3 months following the decision. Claimants in the WRAG have a maximum of 2 years before reassessment, those in the Support Group have a maximum of 3 years. The claimant is not routinely notified when to expect reassessment but it should be on the DWP computer screen. Your wife can phone and ask for the 'prognosis', this will be the expected period before reassessment (although forms will be sent out aprox 4 months prior to this).

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MSHusband

• bro58
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112672 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA awarded Feb 2012 - what next

MSHusband wrote: My wife moved from IB to ESA in Feb2012. We submitted a 50 page application with every point cross-referenced to a copy of a letter from a consultant. She was not called for an assessment, and placed in the support group.

Am I correct that the award is for a maximum of 2 years, and she will be "invited" to re apply in Feb 2014 ?

We are now sitting on 80 pages of letters and notes, and counting. This time they are already scanned and indexed, I have a personal goal of returning the ESA form within 48 hours.

On a related note, despite 2 recorded delivery letters, the decision maker has ignored requests under the DPA. I just got worn down :(

Hi MSH,

I am currently aware of several ESA recipients where the end of the recommended prognosis period has come and gone. They have not yet received a fresh ESA50 for reassessment.

With respect to your SAR, if the DWP have failed to comply twice, you could complain to The ICO :

www.ico.org.uk/for_the_public/personal_information

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by bro58.

More
10 years 5 months ago #112674 by MSHusband
Replied by MSHusband on topic ESA awarded Feb 2012 - what next

I am glad to hear that your wife was placed in the ESA Support Group without a face2face assessment, thank you for letting us know.

I am convinced it was because every single question on the form was answered with a reference to an independent source - mainly letters from consultants. We've always been paranoid about keeping every letter that goes to the GP, and these usually have a summary of the state of the MS and how it's affecting various aspects of health.

I hope the second the bundle dropped on whoevers desk, they realised there was no point in questioning a single statement.

I also ran the pack through the printer a second time, so every page had a header of my wifes NI number, the date, and Page x of y.

Years of dealing with government bureaucracy has trained us well. ;)

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112678 by MSHusband
Replied by MSHusband on topic ESA awarded Feb 2012 - what next

bro58 wrote:

MSHusband wrote: My wife moved from IB to ESA in Feb2012. We submitted a 50 page application with every point cross-referenced to a copy of a letter from a consultant. She was not called for an assessment, and placed in the support group.

Hi MSH,

I am currently aware of several ESA recipients where the end of the recommended prognosis period has come and gone. They have not yet received a fresh ESA50 for reassessment.

With respect to your SAR, if the DWP have failed to comply twice, you could complain to The ICO :

bro58

I wonder if we are drifting back to the old system. My wife has MS which has moved from relapsing remitting to secondary progressive. She is now registered partially sighted, which is more a paper thing, as her vision was very poor in 2012 when we completed the ESA50. This is a condition which is not going to improve, unless there is a dramatic medical discovery. If there is no benefit to the outfit doing the assessment to simply confirm a chronic condition hasn't improved, maybe they just won't re assess ?

I'll try the ICO - thanks.

• bro58
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112680 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA awarded Feb 2012 - what next

MSHusband wrote:

bro58 wrote:

Hi MSH,

bro58

I wonder if we are drifting back to the old system. My wife has MS which has moved from relapsing remitting to secondary progressive. She is now registered partially sighted, which is more a paper thing, as her vision was very poor in 2012 when we completed the ESA50. This is a condition which is not going to improve, unless there is a dramatic medical discovery. If there is no benefit to the outfit doing the assessment to simply confirm a chronic condition hasn't improved, maybe they just won't re assess ?

I'll try the ICO - thanks.

Hi MSH,

I very much doubt that we will return to an "exempt" category, as with the IB PCA.

Current delays are probably down to the fact that ATOS are in turmoil, and both they and the DWP have huge back logs.

Let us remember that the whole IB,IS & SDA migration to ESA process is supposed to be completed by Spring 2014, I think not !!!!

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.