× Members

Overdosing on painkillers

• kapahater
  • Topic Author
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112677 by kapahater
Overdosing on painkillers was created by kapahater
Does anyone know what the position of overdosing on painkiller is? I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis
and I have to go to tribunal. I told them in 2006 and before that I overdose on painkillers to allow me
to go out if I need or want to when I am in pain. I have tried to find information on this but I can't
find any. I went to interview with a solicitor and I told him I was overdosing on painkillers and taking
marijuana. He told me not to mention the marijuana because I would be charged with that.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #112682 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Overdosing on painkillers
kapahater

You do not say what you are appealing but both ESA and DLA take into account any restriction in the activity that the claimant is assessed against due to their conditions, for ESA the key phrase is "significant discomfort" and for DLA it is "severe discomfort".

Claimants should only be assessed to the point where they experience significant/severe discomfort, any ability to continue with the activity after this point should be ignored.

So to answer your question, you should answer any questions in context to the above.

As an aside, over medicating can be dangerous, you should speak to your GP or Consultant about your current level of pain medication to see whether it can be adjusted.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 5 months ago #112685 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Overdosing on painkillers

kapahater wrote: Does anyone know what the position of overdosing on painkiller is? I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis
and I have to go to tribunal. I told them in 2006 and before that I overdose on painkillers to allow me
to go out if I need or want to when I am in pain. I have tried to find information on this but I can't
find any. I went to interview with a solicitor and I told him I was overdosing on painkillers and taking
marijuana. He told me not to mention the marijuana because I would be charged with that.

Not withstanding Gordon's advice, my wife is a retired Nurse (and a former moderator for B & W).

I have discussed with her what you posted, and in line with Gordon's advice overdosing any medication, especially analgesics (pain killers) can be very dangerous, or to to be blunt could be fatal.

I strongly advise that you NEVER exceed the stated dose and to reiterate Gordon's advice consult your GP or Consultant to discuss your problems.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.