× Members

Motability question

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112797 by knockveiw
Motability question was created by knockveiw
Hi I wonder if you could answer my querry.If a person is awarded motability high rate does he/she have to use that award to get a new car.If they don't do the DWP hold it against them when it is up for renewal,a friend of mine who gets it and uses it in this way has said it looks better that you have used it for the purpose intended,but just at this moment in time I am unable to drive and the DVL has told me not to through advise from consultants ;) Thanks
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112799 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Motability question

knockveiw wrote: Hi I wonder if you could answer my querry.If a person is awarded motability high rate does he/she have to use that award to get a new car.If they don't do the DWP hold it against them when it is up for renewal,a friend of mine who gets it and uses it in this way has said it looks better that you have used it for the purpose intended,but just at this moment in time I am unable to drive and the DVL has told me not to through advise from consultants ;) Thanks

Not at all, many claimants own their own car and use the money to cover the insurance and running costs, some like you, will not be able to use a car and use the money for taxis or to hire scooters, it may even be used to cover parking costs for a friend or relative driving. The bottom line is that claimants are not audited for their expenditure, so do not worry about it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 6 months ago #112806 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Motability question
There is nowhere on the DLA application forms that asks the claimant what they expect to do with their DLA if they get it, or what they have done with their current award. I really don't see how DWP would know what the benefit has been used for!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112817 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Motability question
Agree, with all that other moderators have posted. I've had a Motability vehicle on lease since I was awarded what was called 'Mobility Allowance' way back in 1986 before it was changed to DLA in 1992.

You can use the money for whatever you wish. I chose to lease a Motability vehicle and have continued to do so since I became severely disabled due to MS way back in 1986 and have never regretted it. We never put that money into the housekeeping budget, so have never missed it.

At £55.25 per week, in my opinion a Motability leased vehicle is good value for money. My wife and I call it trouble free motoring. It costs about £50 per day to hire a fairly basic car from one of big hire companies such as as Godfrey Davies or Hertz, but in the final analysis it's down to personal choice.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Corrected typo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcginty

More
10 years 6 months ago #112824 by mcginty
Replied by mcginty on topic Motability question

Jim Allison wrote: Agree, with all that other moderators have posted. I've had a Motability vehicle on lease since I was awarded what was called 'Mobility Allowance' way back in 1986 before it was changed to DLA in 1992.

You can use the money for whatever you wish. I chose to lease a Motability vehicle and have continued to do so since I became severely disabled due to MS way back in 1986 and have never regretted it. We never put that money into the housekeeping budget, so have never missed it.

At £55.25 per week, in my opinion a Motability leased vehicle is good value for money. My wife and I call it trouble free motoring. It costs about £50 per day to hire a fairly basic car from one of big hire companies such as Godfrey Davies or Hertz, but in the final analysis it's down to personal choice.

Totally agree with Jim here. That is one of the really great things about Motability, the car. I would be lost without it and must thank the Motability organisation for their work here.
I must not forget Benefitsandwork.co.uk for the great work they do also. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)

More
10 years 6 months ago #112827 by killbot99
Replied by killbot99 on topic Motability question
Hi
I had a Motability car for 4.5 years, I decided to give mine up earlier this year due to increasing poor health and the fact we simply didn't use it enough, even though it was halfway through the contract. I had no problems with either Motability or the DWP.

I now receive the allowance instead and use it for the occasional taxi when needed. Plenty of people don't have a Motability car. It is simply one of the choices available. The scheme is a fantastic idea and maybe in the future I will be able to take advantage of it again. But there is no onus to have one if you don't wish to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law), knockveiw

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris