× Members

Going to USA for spinal treatment - using BF5 form

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112807 by Creature
Hello dear Members

Since I must go the the USA for a period of 85 days for spinal treatment, this morning I spoke with a DWP to find out if I would continue to receive my ESA payments while I was out of the country for this period of time.

I was informed that I would have to submit a completed BF5 form, which once received, would be forwarded to a decision maker who would decide whether I would receive ESA payments for the whole time I am away or just part of the time.

I informed the DWP that I would not be able afford to go for the treatment unless I received my ESA payments for the whole time that I was in the USA, but he said it was up to the decision maker to decide how many days I would receive.

My fear is that if I book everything in advance for this period: flights, accommodation, transport etc. and then am told that I will only have ESA payments for 20 days, not only would I not be able to complete the treatment program, but the cancellation costs and prepaid booking amounts that I would lose would be a financial disaster for me.

So, two questions:

(1) Would anyone know how I might get greater clarification from the DWP regarding the number of ESA payments I might receive while I am away for treatment in the USA?
I know that this is a bit of a "crystal ball" question, but I would be grateful for any input.

(2) Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the BF5 form to look over, since the DWP don't want to send it out to me until I commit to the dates that I want to travel.

Many thanks for your support.

Creature.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112811 by Gordon
Creature

I am afraid a quick search suggests that the BF5 form is not online, it may be possible to get a copy from your local JC+ office, I would ring beforehand to make an appointment but also to check if they have a copy of the form.

As I understand it, and I want to stress that the rules regarding claiming benefits abroad are extremely complicated and variable from benefit to another, if you are receiving ESA(IR) in whole or in part, then it is only payable for four weeks, if you are receiving ESA(CB) then it should be payable for 26 weeks, however, I would recommend that you not make a final decision on your travel arrangements until you have heard from the Decision Maker.

There is some extra information on the following.

www.gov.uk/claiming-benefits-move-travel-abroad/overview

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Creature

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris